Fostex recommended FE103 Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just completed my Ron Clarke Austin FE-126. I made them out of 3/4" MDF and finished them in a gloss black finish. I made a template of the baffles and then used it to spray paint a primer onto the MDF which gave me the layout and sped up the whole assembly process.

I also made some CAT 5 speaker cables to go with the speakers. The sound is impressive and brings out detail that was not there with my other speakers.

I look forward to performing the Enabl treatment at some point in the future.

Attachments

• dsc_5675.jpg
    dsc_5675.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 691
I find the sound to be detailed and there is ample bass. I am using them with a NAD 25wpc receiver and a Yamaha CD player as well as a Rega turntable.

One thing I have noticed is that some CD's that used to sound good on my old system don't sound that great anymore. I figure this is due to the ability to resolve the information and bring out the lack of quality with the recordings. But on the other hand certain CD's such as Andrea Bocelli, Diana Krall, Jean Michel Jarre sound incredible. There is lots of detail through the entire frequency range.

I just listened to a CD titled "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc" and the speakers have no problem with resolving the sound. The musicians and singers are exactly where they are meant to be in the recordings and you can hear the nuances in the music.

Rega is using the FE126E and as far as I know the FE126E won't fit in a Buschorn. The Hornshoppe horn is larger but has roughly the same layout and was developed for the FE108Z/FE126E but is a commercial product. The Frugal Horn (see http://www.frugal-horn.com/) was developed for DIY as an attempt to replicate the great sound of the Hornshoppe Horn. It would be a very good choice for the FE126E but according to reports needs to be placed in a corner (unlike the A126 which just needs to be near a back wall).

holdent said:
Rega is using the FE126E and as far as I know the FE126E won't fit in a Buschorn. The Hornshoppe horn is larger but has roughly the same layout and was developed for the FE108Z/FE126E but is a commercial product. The Frugal Horn (see http://www.frugal-horn.com/) was developed for DIY as an attempt to replicate the great sound of the Hornshoppe Horn. It would be a very good choice for the FE126E but according to reports needs to be placed in a corner (unlike the A126 which just needs to be near a back wall).

It's not that difficult to increase the height of the BH MKI to accommodate a 4" driver (e.g. either the Fostex FE108E Sigma or FE126E) - and the sound can be quite excellent. (sand fill the bottom void)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
holdent said:
The Hornshoppe horn is larger but has roughly the same layout and was developed for the FE108Z/FE126E but is a commercial product. The Frugal Horn (see http://www.frugal-horn.com/) was developed for DIY as an attempt to replicate the great sound of the Hornshoppe Horn.

On the last page of the Frugel-Horn plan document, is our attempt at following the path Ed took to his horn by blowing up the Buschhorn Mk 1. All the dimensions that are reachable for the outside of the box with the driver removed are identical to the EdHorn. All the insides are a logical extrapolation. Ed says there are some tricks inside his box that will only be revealed by taking a sawsall to a pair.

I can tell you that a Level 0 FH is better than the expanded Buschhorn Mk 1s we built, a Level 3 is significantly better than that -- particularily in the bass (~50 Hz vrs 80). Level 3 also compensates a bit for not being corner placed

dave

Attachments

• bhorn-mk1-ex-3d.gif
    bhorn-mk1-ex-3d.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 319
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.