Fostex FF85WK & WinISD - Am I doing it right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should have mentioned that is a 1/2" MDF test box, it does sound muddy.

The larger MDF boxes with double thick walls sound nice/clean/powerful.

I do have a pair of the FF85 in a simple BR box (fostex plans) I don't think you would would want to even hear them...bla.

Looking foward to building new boxes some day, but I have seen where if you push the bass issue, they are not going to work for you.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know. I like it loud (I used to play in a metal band!) but I've found some recent cinema trips... Unpleasant. Loud enough to make me wince.

Hence I was thinking about something like the Fostex - nuance and detail, at the expense of ultimate dynamics. But there is a trade off, and I need to find the point I'm comfortable with.

I find the systems aren't up to the levels they're asking - I've heard some of the satellites sound like there's a dead woofer in there.

Its not that its all that loud (and I know loud - try being in a tiny practice room with a loud drummer and a couple of stage amps, all cranked up), just that they're pushing into distortion on the speakers, amps, etc.

How about going 1.5 way for the front L/R?
In fact, you could just try running them full-range - the centre-to-centre distance is pretty small, so you probably won't notice the difference in HF.
The extra cone area would give you more headroom, and you keep the slim profile. Seems ideal.

Chris

Without knowing just how limiting size is for your living quarters, is it really bad enough that you have to look at 3" and 4" drivers? Maybe try playing around with a ~6" in WinISD. These will meet a helper woofer or subwoofer much easier and have better power handling doing so. Have you looke and simulated FF165WK? Only thing is it might need a super-tweeter though, my FF225WK does.

IG

The new living/dining room is ~12ft x 20ft but that's a dual purpose space, so the TV/sofa/audio gubbins will be in one half of that, with the mains firing across the short dimension. This is probably considered tiny by US standards but it's not bad in England!

The issue isn't space as much as fitting in with my gf's wants. The current speakers are 5 1/4" drivers in a 75cm x 21cm x 27cm box. Too big :(

The trade-off is that I get to keep them setup in the spare/music room and (eventually) build something bigger and better. I'm thinking some nice horns... :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.