Fostex FF225WK + FF85WK together?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
there is some precedence for this approach in the old SDX7/alpair5 combo.

Even more precedent than that... I 'stole' the idea from an old ~1970 pair of Wharfedales I had. 2 ways with a crossover near 1kHz were common in the 60's AFAIK. The original AR-1 used an Altec 755 as a 'tweeter'.

This is really the kind of project where you'd want to try a few different crossover points and decide for yourself. Dave reports plenty of dynamic range with a 350hz crossover, and I do like crossing at the baffle step if possible. OTOH, years ago I crossed an FF125K to a 10" bass driver at about that zone, and it clearly could not keep up with the woofer, at least with a 1st order highpass. Obviously a steeper and/or active crossover will solve that, but introduces its own problems.

FF225wk.
I know it ain't cheap, but what about adding a fostex supertweet ?
Like the ft96h ?

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/ft96hrev.pdf

Not sure but a 2uF should be a pole near 10khz.
They recommend 1uF (20khz pole, -3db@20khz, -9db@10khz). This seems too high for me.

Norman

if the extreme extension and sensitivity of this class of horn super tweeter is not essential, something like the 85WK allows a lot more flexibility in terms of playing with XO corner and slopes, for slightly more than 1/4 the cost of the FT96H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.