Fostex Fe126e in BR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey i know that the 126e is not "ideal" for a BR box,but i must say that I've always gotten good results from this driver in a 12liter solid pine box.

People complain that the 126e lacks bass in BR,but I don't think so compared to other single driver speakers I have heard,some of which with larger drivers.

A tweeter is definately not needed and with jazz, girl with guitar, and small scale classical music a sub is not needed either.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you think they sound good now, you should get your hands on a pair of Planet10's fully tweaked out FE126eN drivers. It's a major improvement over the stock drivers.

Also, I'm glad you posted this thread. Besides me, you're the only other one that I know of that is using the FE126 driver in a non-horn loaded enclosure with great results.

rjbond3rd said:
Hi guys, I also have a bunch of FE126E's in BR's for experimenting. Try 1 to 4 ohms of series resistance (resistor on the + terminal). Just for fun.

I really see no reason for SR myself, at least not with the modified drivers. I can't find a single thing wrong with them yet, and that's with every kind of music imaginable (or at least in my personal library). So far, they just do everything right with ease.

With stock drivers however, I would say a big, fat "yes" to SR. :D

chops said:
If you think they sound good now, you should get your hands on a pair of Planet10's fully tweaked out FE126eN drivers. It's a major improvement over the stock drivers.

Also, I'm glad you posted this thread. Besides me, you're the only other one that I know of that is using the FE126 driver in a non-horn loaded enclosure with great results.

I thought about buying a pair from Planet10, but paying over $200.00 for a pair of 4.5" drivers turned me off. I may get a pair one day...do you think the improved performance really justifies the price?

Originally posted by chops I really see no reason for SR myself...

Bon sois Chops, that's cool. I'm tinkering with the response, just to horse around. Anyway, it sounds like you are already in the zone!

Originally posted by serenechaos robert, did you have resistors in either of those (with or without enable) you played @ my house last weekend? and were the baskets grounded?

Howdy Robert, oh no, no resistance in those 127's. And no basket tweak but I will definitely try that when I upgrade my sad little soldering iron to the big-boy Weller I saw at your house!

Originally posted by audiophile36 do you think the improved performance really justifies the price?

Yes, in my mind they are a bargain. I'm comparing not to the price of the stock driver but to the prices of what we see in the glossy hifi magazines, the stuff that costs more than my car. :) You might be able to hear them locally. (Your cab looks great -- nice grain!)

audiophile36 said:

I thought about buying a pair from Planet10, but paying over $200.00 for a pair of 4.5" drivers turned me off. I may get a pair one day...do you think the improved performance really justifies the price?

That's what my thought was for a long time, but after giving in and purchasing the Planet10 modified drivers, YES, their improved performance more than justifies the price. They are certainly the best $200+ I have spent on audio thus far!

rjbond3rd said:

Bon sois Chops, that's cool. I'm tinkering with the response, just to horse around. Anyway, it sounds like you are already in the zone!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for experimenting to get the sound I want. However, in my current system and room, I can't find a single flaw in these little buggers that needs attention. They are that good.

Now my stock FE103E's are another story. I tried several different values of SR on them before settling on an actual BSC circuit for them, which got them sounding really good. I plan on sending those 103's to Dave one of these days so he can do his Planet10 magic on them as well. ;)

They'll alter the sound more than enabling!

Not near as subtle a change!
you should have seen the look on Robert & Phil's faces.
Priceless!
Then take it away, and like one of them said, it's like going back to a transistor radio...
You don't notice all the MUSIC that's missing until you try it.
But take it away, and it's obvious...

Oh, and that flange looking thing in back?
you can bolt it to the driver...
like the ones in the austins.
That's the size it's made for.
The throat's actually a little large for 4" drivers.
Those JBL horns on the "stilts" I put in front of the 108s are closer to the right size.
But I still think the paper sounded better...

-anyway-
I really enjoyed the back and forth listening between the enabled/unenabled drivers.
if I was going to stick with a 126 or 127 I'd spring for the paint kit for sure.
But $202 will buy a pair of 108s which some of us thought kicked everything up a notch...
& still be able to paint dots on them if ya want?

rjbond3rd said:
...Bass reflex done right sounds fine, but the placement seems to be the thing that nails it in the end. ...

--Actually, I kinda got a kick out of how your bass reflex kicked my (bvr) reflexes bASS! no matter where I placed 'em.
Think they'll make ok two story bird houses.

Enabled 4.5" fostex in BR do seem to be quite the deal for the size, ease of construction & cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.