Fostex F200A vs Visaton B200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my opinion, B200 is a decent midrange driver, not really a full range driver.
It got that peaky upper mid/highs kind of sound that I hate, but others seems to like?

The treble is beamy and muddy.
The High QTS makes it improper for anything other than OB, or a very big closed box. Maybe a TL could work, but I think the low Xmax makes it unsuitable.

From my experience b200 needs a tweeter crossed lower than 2,5k to work.
My advice is to choose another driver.

In my opinion, B200 is a decent midrange driver, not really a full range driver.
It got that peaky upper mid/highs kind of sound that I hate, but others seems to like?

The treble is beamy and muddy.
The High QTS makes it improper for anything other than OB, or a very big closed box. Maybe a TL could work, but I think the low Xmax makes it unsuitable.

From my experience b200 needs a tweeter crossed lower than 2,5k to work.
My advice is to choose another driver.

Perhaps the Fostex FE206EN ? - go to post #7 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/171618-fostex-fe206en.html

High Qts (actually high Qes) means too low magnet and thus too low BL product. Consequence is too large power compression - already at relatively low sound pressure levels.
Therefore I don't like transducers with high Q values >0,4.

Fostex 206EN needs a BL-horn enclosure to shine. ;)

Domestic considerations limit the box size to 920mm high, 230mm wide and 300mm deep. Allowing for an 18mm wall thickness, gives an internal volume of about 45 litres.

In that case I would recommend the Tangband W8 1772. 45 L is perfect for this driver, although it's not exactly cheap but it's worth the money, and you won't feel the need for a supertweeter. But You would need a bafflestep circuit, or equalizer to tame the treble.

W8-1772 - TB speakers 8 inch paper fullrange - Europe Audio
Tang Band W8-1772 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver 264-893

For smaller boxes, Markaudio have good fullrangers that would work in BR for (smaller) rooms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.