Fosgate 1000a2 with blown output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a couple of shorts in the PCB and even one on the Mehsa board. Got them fixed.

Now when I power it up I have +.7v on the output
Both the MPSA56 are getting hot

I am getting 15.4v on one side of C314(10uf cap) and .9v on the other side I have changed q326 and q328 chasing the drain with no change.

Something is switching q326 to ground.

Still searching

Its fine with them reinstalled. Must have been other problems affecting it.

Going to reinstall the Mesha board and test it out.

I really appreciate your help. No way I would have been able to get this working without you.

I have learned a lot about how these work and how not to solder and desolder.

Still have to get the Thermistor from Rockford. They do have it, I just need to find some more things to get to get over their $25 minimum.

Well I hooked it up and ran it for a bit.

I burned up one of the power supply transistors Q8, MTP75NO5HD

When I screwed the Mehsa board down to the chassis It popped off the mehsa board. I should have reattached it.

I was pushing the amp pretty hard and it sounded good though, until the transistor cought fire:hot:

I cought it and removed power immediately, it doesn't appear to be any other damage. Is there a chance that everything else survived?

Do I need to change all those or can I just change the one. Of course I don't have any and I just made an order from Mouser yesterday. Maybe Rockford has them and I can get them with the thermistor.

If the transistor detached from the strip, it's likely that they are not soldered down to the strip properly. Did you tin the backs of the transistors before soldering them to the strips?

If you cut the defective FET out of the board and the amp plays, everything else likely survived. You should confirm that the gate resistor for the blown FET is within tolerance.

The first couple that I did(the power supply ones) I didn't add any extra solder to them and the one that blew definitely wasn't soldered down properly. I am going to redo a couple of them that I suspect may not be down good enough.

This happened purely because I was being a bone head. Lesson learned.

You did catch that it was a power supply FET right?

Yes. I saw that it was the PS FET.

The transistors with the shiny/mirror-like finish don't accept solder very well. If that's what you have, scuff the back of the transistor with ~360 grit sandpaper and use flux to help promote better solder flow when you tin them. This will make it quicker and therefore less likely to cause damage to the transistors.

It doesn't work on that side.

I have full voltage(12v) to the gates on the PS FET's with the bad one removed. The resistors are fine, I get ~7.5v on one side of the resistor and 12v on the other so I gather that I have at least one other FET that is shorting to the gates.

I am not finding any MTP75N05HD FET's but I did cross reference it and found a NTP75N06G that might work.

It appears that you have shorted FETs on both banks if you have 12v on all of the PS FET gates. You'll have to replace all 4 of the FETs in that supply.

I'd use IRF3205s as subs. If you do, you'll have to replace the gate resistors. I'd use 47 ohm resistors but if you have anything from 39-51 ohms, those will work as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.