Follow up on copper foil speaker cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ribbons!

I built my first set of these about 6 years ago, using alfa core inductors.They have satisfied me completly, BUT its tome to replace them, as the adhesive from the tape has resulted in VERY significant green corossion.
I bought some light canvas like COTTON material and will slice it into 8" wide strips. fold the strips in half and iron the fold sharp. place 1 foil in the fold and run a seam lengthwise on the swing machine. Run another parallel seam 2 inches away. Place the second foil against the second seam and finish with the final seam to close the sandwitch. NO plastic! NO adhesive! Just the classic "vintage" sound of cotton insulated wires. Further, if u want them side by side, your finished. If you want them one on top of the other ,fold it in half, iron the fold flat and run another seam at the open side! Try it both ways then decide. My material is a light natural tan color that dissapears against my tan berber carpet. I had those cobra cables Dave shows but abandoned them when i measured a small short between the two colors. Prob just 1 of the wires shorting to the other side. *NO* more Litz for me thanks! Fortunately all the smoke is still inside my amps!

Variac said:
In another discussion of this topic I believe someone said that you have a choice of high impedence/low capacitance or vice versa- you can't have both. So not stacking is not a free lunch.
Inductance vs capacitance.. The closer together the conductors are, the lower the inductance, but capacitance increases with the inverse of distance between conductors. Also, increased area increases capacitance, which foil cables have a lot of.

I guess few amps woulds have problems with separated runs since it is low capacitance/relatively high inductance. VC´s is inductors and that is what the amp is designed for.

Peter Daniel,

do you have the possibility to measure the inductance of the runs? I also used separate runs as by my original thread but I haven´t got around to measure them.

I also hear a highly resolved sound that is very clean and relaxed. Seems like lower noise floor compared to multistranded PVC stuff. I wonder if the smooth relaxed sound is due to roll off in the top, but I don´t think so.... would be interesting to know the inductance and calculate or measure the Fr. response.
Guess I´ll have to stop being lazy and just do it.

/Peter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I also hear a highly resolved sound that is very clean and relaxed. Seems like lower noise floor compared to multistranded PVC stuff. I wonder if the smooth relaxed sound is due to roll off in the top, but I don´t think so....

That description also fits the comparison multistrand versus solid core in general, BTW.
I too doubt the smooth, relaxed sound is due to roll-off in the HF range...In fact the roll-off would be so high up it's probably beyond the amps FR anyway.

Cheers,;)

Yes Frank, I experienced a similar sound using round solic core copper (2.5mm2) insulated with cotton shoe strings a number of years ago.

Regarding HF rolloff with separated runs, especially using short lengths this should not be the case I guess. Still I´ll have to measure and calculate teh rolloff just so I know.

Coolin,

I don´t think it´s about sticking to the foil, more like an insulator preventing a short. I would be sceptical to moving forces between two loosely ribbons in a "sandwich" config.

/Peter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

OK, but thats till not fixed then...there are small forces created when currents are flowing that create motion which create new signals.......

You'll need an awful lot of EMF to have the LS cables dancing around...
Whether the insulation is actually sticking to the bare wire/foil or not is not relevant to EMF anyway.

Pure cotton sleeves can be bought from a number of sources:

WORN OUT T-SHIRTS RECYCLED....

Cheers,;)

Foil conductor is for nothing, 'cos his cross - section is not big, so it have " big " resistance. Best results give power coaxial cables. I recomend to you try Andrew superflexible 1/2 " cabel with nominal impedance 50 ohm. It have inductance 0,2 microHenry / m and capacitance 82 pF / m and transit frequency is up to 10 GHz, so high frequency will be not problem ;). It is by my opinion the best " speaker " cable, which I have heard.

Upupa Epops,

I use a foil that is more than 3mm squard in cross sectional area. That is more area than any other cable I´ve used except for a expensive Audioquest that was in same subjective quality with 4mm but in double length.

I use 1-2 meter max from amps to speakers and I can guarantee that the resistance is NOT of concern. Those cables bring the signal to a VC with 6 ohm DC resistance... and normally with most speakers you find a passive x-over with inductors having way more resistance and inductance than any cable.

That said, I guess I´ll have to give your recipie a try :)!

/Peter

Hi Peter, cable which I'm talked about have cca 10 mm square cross section area ( each conductor ) and after many listening tests was every winner. All, what you say about passive x - overs, I certainly know too ;) . What cost flat cabel per 1 m ? This cable cost about 6 euro / m, nothing expensive ;) .

These ribbon cables are made from a small copper foil inductor as from CFAC, Goertz, alpha core, cross coil and more. Cost end up at less than 1 EUR/meter I´d guess. Use cotton or teflon as insulation. Connectors is better to leave out and just connect the foil to terminals direct.

/Peter

anyone tried:

Digikey sells some flat flex cable.

unplated copper in polyester film insulation.

each conductor equivalent to 28ga. they sell up to 20 conductor wide.

says typical values are:
resistance 55 ohms / 1000 ft
cap 10.8pF / ft
Imp 128 ohms

its on page 47 of catalog T042 or part number AF20-500-ND

just buy some pre-made end connectors and you could wire the conductors up anyway you want:

+-+-+- or +++---

or

+*+*+ -*-*- with the * connected at the ends

anyway... thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.