folded horn suggestions and opinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, two racks. All controlled by one little bitty driverack 260. I've never been able to thermally stress either amp without the speakers first crying 'uncle'. With some of my smaller setups, I push the amps to clip and the speakers into thermal stress - but with this you don't need to.

What I see far too often is someone trying to use a hodge-podge of 15" 2 ways and some 18's - powered off one 20 amp circuit -trying to do what this rig is supposed to.

Max Scoop

Bless,
Im looking to upgrade my set by adding 4 folded horn bass boxes with peavey lowrider or 18" kilomax eminence since i can get them $50-$60 cheaper than PE prices. Which of the two are best for reggae dancehall both clubs and outdoors. I will be driving them with rms 5050 for all 4. All comments welcome. Bless

For reggae this is about as good as it gets.

Speakerplans.com

The PD2150 driver for this application has no peers.

Precision Devices International Limited

Regards,

WHG

Venue Dependant

Can some one here ,who has the equipment, please take a spectral shot( maybe averaged) of some reggae songs so we can get an idea of where the low frequency energy is most abundant.

The heavy reggae bass line will be focused in the 50-60 Hz band and will go down to 30-40 Hz as well.
For the scoops recommended, a 30 Hz high pass filter with at least 24 dB/oct slope should be used to mitigate loss of driver loading below this frequency.
Details of a frequency profile will be highly dependent on the mix used for a given venue and how robust the subs are.

Regards,

WHG

Not sure of the legality of putting up track samples but I can recommend some good artists if that helps.

The way new music would circulate in Jamaica in the 70's was via the sound systems. That's where people would first hear it, not on the radio. There is a lot of big sound systems in Jamaica. Artists were tailoring their music so it sounded good on big speaker systems, many of these would have had scoops. Vinyl from Jamaica always had better bass. (I'm originally from London and grew up on dub).

Often reggae/dub records coming from Jamaica would sound weird on a normal HiFi.

Some artists to listen to: Lee Scratch Perry, Augustus Pablo, King Tubby etc..

For some history there are a couple of good BBC documentary series:

BBC Reggae The Story of Jamaican Music
BBC Reggae Britannia (quite recent good production)

Also, there are some dub system shots from 2011 Notting Hill Carnival on my website:

Notting Hill Carnival 2011

col.

21SW152 + TH? 'Anyone?... Anyone?...Bueller'
teacher1.jpg

Last edited:
Artists were tailoring their music so it sounded good on big speaker systems, many of these would have had scoops.

If those scoops were DIY, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them responded more like vented boxes than horns. The designs tend to get passed around and I get the impression that not much technical know-how goes into them. I measured the impedance response of one such design not too long ago and it looked exactly like what one would expect from a vented box tuned to about 35~40 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.