Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Nice work! That looks sweet. Does it get loud but stays clean? I would cross closer to 700Hz.
It looks better without the painter's tape :) That was just there initially to hold the panels together while I hot-glued everything.

It definitely 'sounds' loud. I was playing them in our basement, and I thought I'd cranked them up quite a bit, but when I went back upstairs and apologised to my wife she said she didn't hear anything! It might take a little while to get used to the accuracy of the planar drivers, but I didn't notice any artefacts from them at all (though I could certainly pick out more in the recordings I was listening to than I have before!).

Hmm, 700Hz - what kind of enclosure would you recommend for reaching that? I noticed that on Joseph's thread where he analyses the frequency response of the planar driver that 300Hz appears to be usable - I assume because of how the panel moves. Is a higher crossover required more because of the horn?

Just put these above a 12in front facing PA woofer to get 700Hz XO.
Try some latex bonded small panels of foam core on the outside walls for CLD. Noico butyl sound dampening autosound sheets work well too to reduce vibration induced distortion.
I started building a midbass box for the Eminence Alpha 8as I have out of XPS foam, but the adhesive didn't work so well (I chose the wrong glue), so I'll build those out of wood - which I've been meaning to do for years anyway :) I'll report back!

Would a first order crossover be the preferred method for these? I was thinking of the 700Hz crossover point, which leads me to roughly a 30uF capacitor for the planar driver, and a 1.9mH inductor for the midbass.

@pelanj, I saw that one too - the only thing I could see of any difference apart from the dimensions were different power handling and low frequency response amounts, but it didn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things!

I'm waiting on a measurement mic to arrive, so when it does I'll post the response graph of the horns I've made :)

Happy New Year! Here's some measurements I took of one of the horns - this is a series of measurements taken on the horizontal plane, from 0 to 90 degrees :)

Attachments

• horn-horiz-polrs.png
    horn-horiz-polrs.png
    45 KB · Views: 251
I build portable boom boxes with a battery/charger and power supply and I have been building them out of foam board from the dollar tree for years, I laminate a thin piece of rigid plastic sheeting between two pieces of foam board with contact adhesive, I brace the Holy he'll out of it and then when I'm done I wrap the outside with duct tape and then I wrap it in fabric, the boxes are light and they barely flex at all, the last one I built had a down firing 10" sub with two opposing 10" passive radiators on the front and back so it doesn't dance around the floor, it also had 8" 2 way components on the front, dipole tweeters on the back, a touch screen Bluetooth controller with an SD card slott and tuner, a powered automotive antenna 300 watt sub amp, 100watt by 4 bi-amping the mids, a 40 amp hr. 12.6 volt lithium battery with a 30amp charger/ power supply so it can be plugged in or run off battery power and it only weighs 22 lbs!..and sounds amazing!

Reactions: 1 user
Not up to the high standards of this thread, but I've been waiting on a plywood order since 27 January, so in my impatience I've now assembled a whole family of foam Mar-Kens...

dPlu-Ken7HD Centre

1676852407798.png 1676854788141.png

CGR dMar-Ken11ms, with driver (mis)positioned at roughly at the height it will be in dMar-KenA11R when my plywood shows up

1676854828765.png

uMar-Ken5.2 (but with CHN-50... does that make it uCHN-Ken50? At any rate, I believe @planet10 has said the same box suits, and for surround satellites they seem to be fine)

1676855277309.png 1676855311363.png

Reactions: 1 users