Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
To calculate the lowest fundamental 1/4 wave freq, divide speed of sound (about 342 m/s) by 4 x the path length of the longest channel in meters. For example, for a 1.5 m path, 342/6=57Hz. Use current design but modify by putting bigger central box for speaker chamber, this will only add 4 in to your overall dimensions, but the depth still has to be like 9 or 10 inches to let the driver have enough room to breathe.

Is multiplication by 4 because there are four channels?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks!

Something that might be worrisome is that Cal reports recessed vocals and this guy reports that the bass "ate" the middle frequencies. Coincidence?

seb:diy:audio: Cornu Spiral Copy Horn

Easy fix with more stuffing, or use smaller drivers like I did (3.5 inch) and it is well balanced to my ears. The 8 incher would be beau coup bass.:D

I'll save you a lot of reading and excerpt from Iko's link.
<start>
So how do they sound ? Well, my first reaction was that of sheer amazement at the amount of bass they produced. And i mean *a lot*. So much so, that i felt it ate the middle frequency. Some low stuff indeed.
<snip>
All in all, the sound is starting to change already (after some 20 hours of listening), and the bass is becoming more controlled.
<snip>
The mids are still lacking in some type of music, but there are others where everything is *spot on*.
<snip>
in general, i'm enchanted. And the sheer beauty of them leaves me contemplating each time i look at their direction.
<end>

I have to agree but I haven't had time enough to judge properly.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Well then... on my way to home depot for some plywood. I'm very tempted to go 4x4 ft each face for ease of construction. That'd be two sheets of 4x8. They can cut the plywood in store for me so all I'd have to do is cut the hole for speaker and start gluing. What do you guys think? Also, 1/4 in think or 3/8, or doesn't matter?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well then... on my way to home depot for some plywood. I'm very tempted to go 4x4 ft each face for ease of construction. That'd be two sheets of 4x8. They can cut the plywood in store for me so all I'd have to do is cut the hole for speaker and start gluing. What do you guys think? Also, 1/4 in think or 3/8, or doesn't matter?

Be careful, bigger may not always be better, you may have overwhelming bass with such a large mouth (large circumference) and long pipes. I actually went smaller (20 in) and it still had a lot of bass and feels overall, balanced. What are your thoughts, Cal, on a 16 square foot Cornu? Also, bigger driver means doubling up and making a two layer spiral which is a pain, although gluing two foam core spirals on common center panel is still easier than cutting thin channel and fitting dividers in between.

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Not so surprising that it wouldn't fit IN the car. Luckily, I always have some rope in the trunk. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20121202_141631.jpg
    IMG_20121202_141631.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 973
What are your thoughts, Cal, on a 16 square foot Cornu?
Ya baby! :smash:
Not so surprising that it wouldn't fit IN the car. Luckily, I always have some rope in the trunk. :D

That's hilarious. When the saw at Hope Depot was down and I had already bought the Sure-Ply, I had to leave it there, go home and get the truck. I'm not allowed to tie wood on the top of honey's car. :D

I am finished my SWMBO chores and will be moving the speakers soon. If you don't hear from me it's 'cause I got swallowed by the bass monsters. ;)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok, I just got done ordering a pair of Planet-10 FF125kEn from Dave, hopefully I will have them by the end of the week... (Customs into the US always being the hold-up)

After a conversation with Dave they seemed to be the best idea for this enclosure, and being the same as what Cal is using, hopefully there will be more info about the tuning over the next week or two. Then once I get mine I can share my thoughts and experiences as well.

More news and photos as it happens. :D :D :D

-Jim

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, I just got done ordering a pair of Planet-10 FF125kEn from Dave, hopefully I will have them by the end of the week... (Customs into the US always being the hold-up)

After a conversation with Dave they seemed to be the best idea for this enclosure, and being the same as what Cal is using, hopefully there will be more info about the tuning over the next week or two. Then once I get mine I can share my thoughts and experiences as well.

More news and photos as it happens. :D :D :D

-Jim

Those are some nice tricked out drivers. I guess you are going for same exact build as Cal it sounds like?