Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't temporarily seal the top. But one way to temporarily seal and ensure airtight seal is to use liquid nails or latex caulking as if you are dealing for real. Put a flat sheet of cardboard and lots of weights - test and listen while on floor. Remove top before glue dries if you have to.

Easier to let dry and cut a small access window with a razor and reach hand in to adjust stuffing. Glue little window back with hot melt. Good as new.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I buy the cheapest mini glue gun from craft store $3. Get two in case you need to do a long run and heat runs out on first gun. Sometime a dollar store has them. I don't like big guns as they get too hot and are too big to go inside a box.

Best place for glue sticks is Walmart $3/bag.

Screws are Spax 1.5in long construction screws $7 box of 100.

I also buy the $8 assorted wood screw set (small to large) for little drivers or funny circumstances.

Glue triple layer cardboard from large TV's etc With hot glue to the back where screws go as cardboard nuts. Works for drivers up to 5in. Bigger, use Luann ply sheeting 3/16in as facing for foam. You can take up to 12in drivers that way.

To cut straight clean lines get a large sheet of 4ft long Masonite or hardboard. That is your straight edge. It needs to be able to span the 30in long FC board.

Breakaway tip razors 3/$1 at dollar store. Use new tip for
Each project.

Lay foam on carpeted floor. Use masonite as straight edge and make initial cut just deep enough to pierce top paper layer. Repeat 3 or 4 more steady strokes until blade hits carpet. Razor will not harm carpet. Trust me - test it if you don't of use scrap sheet of 5ft sqUare Berber carpet as the cutting pad on concrete or wood floor. Floor needs to be flat.

Last edited:
Here is the Vifa DCR sitting next to my monitor - makes the ultimate computer speaker! The height is just right at ear level and the rear firing bass port integrates well with the back wall for some enhancement. I applied a -6dB BSC shelf from 1 kHz on up using Jriver and played a song from YouTube (so not the best source here but gives you an idea of the sound). Note that this is in mono (left channel only) and powered by a tiny Sure 8 watt TPA3110D2 amp. I think they sound very nice - the frequency range from 200 Hz and above is, well, very TC9FD like - which is to say outstanding, essentially reference quality monitor like with very good detail and transparency. The bass provided by the DCR below 200 Hz seems very balanced and extension feels like it really is a good 55 Hz to 60 Hz. I have been spoiled by the bass from the Nautaloss because of course, a 3.5 in driver trying to drive 50 Hz is not going to be anything like qnty 4 x 6.5 in drivers into a sealed cabinet. But nonetheless, very enjoyable at moderate SPL's - so for near field it works well. Measurements to come later, possibly in a dedicated thread if there is enough interest.

404584d1394377264-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-dcr-vifa-photo-06.png

Here is a detailed top view so you can see the profile better:

404601d1394377728-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-dcr-vifa-photo-07.png

Found this post (n thread) just now, nice build, and can't help wonder out loud how the confederacy of dunces assembled at this forum did not pounce on the posting of a sound clip as some futile task as they do claim that such recordings as here and on youtube and the various speaker shootouts all cannot sound faithful to any degree to anyone as golden eared as they claim to be.

Hi guys, ive tinkered with these foam core speakers with relative success in the past but i have a new project i want to partake in.

im into RC trucks. and also do a bit of DJing as a second job. and want to combine these hobbies.

basically i want to use a cheapo 2.1 sound system i picked up from Kmart shop, and want to use it for this projects guts.

its 1/10 scale, and i plan to use the 4" as subwoofer and 2" drivers for top end like it is currently, but i want as much bass volume as i can get.

thinking a sealed box is pretty basic, so was wanting something a little more exquisite, more like a tapped horn, or even an open back/ front loaded horn...

since its guessing games on the specs of the driver, i was just gonna use a basic 1/4 cone throat size, and 4x cone area mouth(or bigger??) with approx 1.5-2m horn path if i can fold it up inside the box.

how does my logic sound guys?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi guys, ive tinkered with these foam core speakers with relative success in the past but i have a new project i want to partake in.

im into RC trucks. and also do a bit of DJing as a second job. and want to combine these hobbies.

basically i want to use a cheapo 2.1 sound system i picked up from Kmart shop, and want to use it for this projects guts.

its 1/10 scale, and i plan to use the 4" as subwoofer and 2" drivers for top end like it is currently, but i want as much bass volume as i can get.

thinking a sealed box is pretty basic, so was wanting something a little more exquisite, more like a tapped horn, or even an open back/ front loaded horn...

since its guessing games on the specs of the driver, i was just gonna use a basic 1/4 cone throat size, and 4x cone area mouth(or bigger??) with approx 1.5-2m horn path if i can fold it up inside the box.

how does my logic sound guys?

klampykixx,
Welcome back man! It's been years since we have heard from you. You made that cool foam core portable Dj speaker for your computer a few years back.

I am still a bit confused with what you want to do? Make a foam core TH sub 2.1 system at 1/10 scale to mount on your RC truck?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Found this post (n thread) just now, nice build, and can't help wonder out loud how the confederacy of dunces assembled at this forum did not pounce on the posting of a sound clip as some futile task as they do claim that such recordings as here and on youtube and the various speaker shootouts all cannot sound faithful to any degree to anyone as golden eared as they claim to be.

Oh there were definitely naysayers against me making recordings. But you know what? They actually sound pretty good to many people and it's better than nothing.

So given a chance to listen to some form of a representation of a speaker, if you told people you recorded it with a XY stereo mic at 96kHz and 24bits in wav format. It's not so bad... and many will listen and find usefulness out of it. The naysayers will always be naysayers.