Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm waiting with baited breath :)

Ok, it's done. More info here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/261427-40-full-range-synergy-2.html#post4046339

436553d1409743741-40-full-range-synergy-synergy-xo-70hz-hpf.png

436548d1409743663-40-full-range-synergy-synergy-0.7x-build-03.jpg

Spirals

Hi there,

After building a 12" sub last year, and a couple guitar amp cabs last month, I think I may have caught the bug.

Then I stumbled upon these Cornu threads, and I want in!

Looks like the Vifa TC9FD is nice, but being in Canada I'm unwilling to pay shipping costs for now.

I do have a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20's. They're OK speakers on their own, but I wouldn't mind ripping them apart and making some Cornu Spirals from them.

Can anyone share information on how to scale the original design based on speaker dimensions?

Thanks!

On top of that, they may be equalized so the electronics will have to come along for the ride and if you can open the cabinet, you may find retrieving the drivers may be harder than it's worth. Even then the frames may be different than you can actually mount in a Cornu. Best to go find a steal of a deal at your local second hand store. I have found many good drivers in bad cabinets and salvaged them.

Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys, appreciate it.

I think they're 2.5" drivers. There are a few disassembly threads, doesn't look too bad. Would just extend factory wiring.

The tweeter looks pretty self-contained, I was thinking I could just counter-sink it into the front baffle somewhere?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii253/alvin1118_album/blog/IMG_0044.jpg

EDIT: Thanks for the heads-up on that driver from Solen.

Last edited:
I just finished a small 12" square sided folded horn for FE126e drivers in foamcore. I kept hearing that you need a big horn for these, but I'm getting plenty of bass in a pretty small size. I only have one, the other is cardboard but the same design (a USPS box 12x12x5.5), so now I have to make another foamcore box.

Of course, the first thing I played was "Stairway to Heaven" just to prove they can rock. I've switched to jazz vocals on Pandora now. I wouldn't want to overwork them.

I'm sure if I really knew what I was doing this would never work. ;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just finished a small 12" square sided folded horn for FE126e drivers in foamcore. I kept hearing that you need a big horn for these, but I'm getting plenty of bass in a pretty small size. I only have one, the other is cardboard but the same design (a USPS box 12x12x5.5), so now I have to make another foamcore box.

Of course, the first thing I played was "Stairway to Heaven" just to prove they can rock. I've switched to jazz vocals on Pandora now. I wouldn't want to overwork them.

I'm sure if I really knew what I was doing this would never work. ;)

Any photos showing the horn path? Cool that you are getting bass from the 126e's. They don't have much cone movement.

I was surprised to see that cone moving the way it did. Only the one in the foamcore moved, the other didn't. I'll get a few pics up later when I try them with my small class-D amp on a board. Ultimately, they'll be for my daughter's dorm room with one of those amps and a cord to plug in an iPhone/Computer. That's if I let her take them...

They are internally 12x12x6, with a diagonal running from the top/back to somewhere below center/center, with a vertical board running from the diagonal bottom straight up. The internal board was just another 13" board that I cut, so total length is that split between the two pieces. The driver is mounted 3.5" down from the external top, so 3" internally. The back is completely open. I have wires with clips just running through the back opening, no posts. I may or may not add them, but given there is no back I don't have the usual place to put them.

The boards were 13x13 for the sides, 6x13 for the front, and 6x12.5 for the top and bottom, and another 6x13 for the internal baffle, split as I said above. I used 1/2" foamcore. It doesn't get much easier than this.

Last edited: