• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fluorescent lamp choke - use in tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Flourescent lamp choke - use in tube amp?

Hello to all!!!

I found a flourescent lamp choke (you know, heavy white things mounted near the lamp starter). It has 45ohm dc resistance which I just measured. And it has these writings on it:

Type:N/39 Lamp W:30-32-2x14-15 [delta]t:55° tw:120

V:220 Hz:50 And then some semi-cancelled letters:

IL (or maybe TL): 0.xx 0.xx (those x are unreadable numbers)

cosx:0.45 (the x maybe a greek phi)

(note: the [delta] is in greek letter)

What does they mean? How a flourescent lamp works? What does the starter do?

And most important... if this is a choke, can I use it in my tube amp just to filter the B+ for the screens of the power tubes (2 EL84 per channel) and for the anode of the drivers (a couple of ECCxx series)?

Thanks in advance!!!

I believe the choke used in florescent tube is for AC operation. The one we are using for B+ filtering is for DC.

With DC current through a choke designed for AC operation, the magnetic core mostly get saturated and its Inductance will become less significantly.

Just my 2 cents.

Johnny

How a fluorescent lamp works

A fluorescent lamp works by passing an arc from one end of the lamp to the other. In each end of the lamp there is a small filament like the filament in an incandescent lamp, which is ignited briefly to heat the gas inside the lamp - this is done by the starter which switches the filaments on for a moment and then off (usually several times which is why fluorescents flicker when they come on). The gas inside the tube is a mercury vapour which produces ultra violet light when the arc passes through it, and then the phosphour coating on the inside of the glass of the tube converts the UV to visible light.

The Choke in a fluorescent lamp limits the current that flows through the lamp after the lamp has ignited.

Don't know how this helps with a tube amp though!

Re: How a fluorescent lamp works

silicon-surfer said:
A fluorescent lamp works by passing an arc from one end of the lamp to the other. In each end of the lamp there is a small filament like the filament in an incandescent lamp, which is ignited briefly to heat the gas inside the lamp - this is done by the starter which switches the filaments on for a moment and then off (usually several times which is why fluorescents flicker when they come on). The gas inside the tube is a mercury vapour which produces ultra violet light when the arc passes through it, and then the phosphour coating on the inside of the glass of the tube converts the UV to visible light.

The Choke in a fluorescent lamp limits the current that flows through the lamp after the lamp has ignited.

Don't know how this helps with a tube amp though!

Thanks!!! I've searched the net and now I understand how a fluorescent lamp works. Now I'd like to know if someone is using the reactor choke in a tube amp...

I been playing with this for a while back like 2 years ago.
From what i gather they are around 3 H - 4H with wire rating up to 200ma. Just take the watt ratin and divide by the voltage should get the wire size. Pls derate this figure. Also because they are used on AC 240v. They need to be largely gapped to handle the large ac. Therefore they even can be used as choke input. IN normall usage as pi filters. They work rather fine. However just to let you know most mass producelamp chokes are fine from recycle steel. Here they recycle the steel from cutting transformer iron and recycle for use in lamp chokes. So don;t run it to hard, even it is made for 240volts it might actully saturate the core if run to much into this. This voltage level is not that high for filter pi style but when run as a input choke it can be problem

Hope this helps

NickC said:
I been playing with this for a while back like 2 years ago.
From what i gather they are around 3 H - 4H with wire rating up to 200ma. Just take the watt ratin and divide by the voltage should get the wire size. Pls derate this figure. Also because they are used on AC 240v. They need to be largely gapped to handle the large ac. Therefore they even can be used as choke input. IN normall usage as pi filters. They work rather fine. However just to let you know most mass producelamp chokes are fine from recycle steel. Here they recycle the steel from cutting transformer iron and recycle for use in lamp chokes. So don;t run it to hard, even it is made for 240volts it might actully saturate the core if run to much into this. This voltage level is not that high for filter pi style but when run as a input choke it can be problem

Hope this helps

Thank you!!!

So if I use it in a pi filter, to drive the screens of a couple of EL84 and some 12AX7 it will be fine? Max draw will be 25/30mA...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.