Flattening record warp

Hi,
I recently salvaged my Dad's turntable (about 30 years old). Just cleaned the rubber pulleys, replaced some rubber bushes for the motor.

I have some old vinyl records ( LP - 33 1/3 RPM) that are seriously warped ( so much that they come in the way of the tone arm).

Is there a DIY method that can restore the record back to its shape (not really that flat - but close enough). I read on some website where it was mentioned to put the record between two glass plates and place it in the hot oven at 150 deg.

I understand this is risky but any other method/suggestion that might have worked for anyone will help.

SY said:
The oven/glass thing has worked for me about zero times.

Oh ! does that mean this method could not straighten the record
(or)
has it resulted in some damage to the record (hope not..)

SY said:
Sadly, dewarping a record is like descrambling an egg.
Hmm.. Yes I understand it is a little difficult, but I was wondering if anything can change shape due to heat and pressure, could it not be restored the same way?

Some warp can be removed but a very badly warped one might be impossible to remove fully. Be careful with your stylus. A bad warp could damage the cantilever. However like SY says it might get much noisier or even unplayable. Pick the album you do not care for and try flattening it first. All surfaces must be 'super clean' .

Try using the HOT Indian sun instead of the oven ! At least it will not melt the vinyl ! :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
ashok said:
... Try using the HOT Indian :D

Great, all I need is a hot Indian!

De-warping requires even pressure over a long period. I tried by a) cleaning, b) leaving in the sleeve, c) lay on an even, flat surface, d) apply a weight evenly over the whole record [I used several very thick hardcover books], e) leave for a long time.

I left them for months. It got rid of of most of the warp.

However if it is so warped that it hits the underside of the arm then you may be out of luck.

There is some "ironing" ironing machine available (I forgot the name of the thing unfortunately) and in Europe there are even HiFi dealers offering this as a service to customers. I by myself will try to find one who can do this but the price is almost as much as an average record once cost.
The one I want to flatten was quite expensive however (Sheffield Lab 1) and it is unplayable anyhow so the risk might be worth it.

Regards

Charles

Thanks for the responses.

Going by the posts, I was also thinking on the lines of Gordy's and sretens posts...subjecting the record to the same conditions that must have caused it to warp, the difference being this is flattened firm this time. And this process would take days / months.

I might actually try putting the record with its cover between glass plates and place heavy weights (books) on it and and keep it away for a few months.

Will post the results. Thanks again for all your responses.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all
The oven/glass thing has worked for me about zero times.

I have experimented with this myself.
The best results I obtained with sandwiching the record between two cleaned glass plates (as thick as I could get).
Before sandwitching, I had cleaned (washed) the record and I had dried it.
Then, I oiled the inner sides of the glass plates (if glass is dry, record may stick over it).
Glass/vynil/glass placed in the middle of the oven.
Oven operated at low temperature (~60-70 degrees Centigrade) in circulating air mode for half to one hour.
After that, I opened the oven door a bit and left it cool down slowly to ambient temperature (~2 hours).
Then removed the record, washed it (with mild hair shampoo and ~40 degrees Celsius tap water. I let it dry in vertical position.

Regards
George