Flags are back / new member information section

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Pre-migration to XenForo, a flag next to each members name helped us all to see what an amazing, very much global community diyAudio is. A melting pot of cultures from around the world who all share the same fanatical passion for audio.

These have now been returned, along with a tidied up member information section that is to the left (desktop/tablet) or top (mobile) of every post. Changes as follows:
  1. The dropdown/dropup button has been removed
  2. 5 pieces of information are now shown on desktop/tablet (member title, membership upgrade status, join year, flag, website). The member's typed location details (if entered) appearing when hovering over the flag.
  3. Join year and website are not shown on mobile to save space
  4. Website has "www." stripped from it to reduce clutter
  5. The old "donation star" has been replaced with what feels like a more descriptive icon - a shield. This signifies the member has helped to protect diyAudio by contributing to its operating costs this year.
  6. The green online indicator over the avatar has been removed as it cluttered things up and didn't look great. Same with the OP icon which is not nearly as important on our site with long threads as other sites. Either might return in the future with a nicer presentation.
If you experience any issues with the new layout please post here or send an email to the helpdesk at contact@diyaudio.com.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 15 users

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
(y) (y) (y) for flags!

I did have "Maine USA" (USA is a big place). Was that in a secondary field? --- OH, I see, if I hover the flag I can see my state and Osvaldo's town, and Jason's city (not country-- you know us up-abovers can't tell AUS from NZ.)

Was there, for just a moment, TWO flags per user-badge? One center-ish and one bottom-left? That's what I saw when I came back from the kitchen. On re-load, just one flag.

Website has "www." stripped from it to reduce clutter
Kinda agree. I note that I have worked with sites where the www. was important or essential. I gave up that fight 27 years (always configured all variants on my vhosts) but I still see it around.

Also I had 'hidden' the path to my avatar in that rarely-seen field, and you splattered it for all to see! :eek: No big secret, and it was time for a change again, and I was just reading tech horror-stories about database private fields not always as private as users thought.
reduce clutter
Wielding the big axe:
  • is "Member" necessary? Which named entities here are non-members? (Oh, I see, some of us are "More".)
  • Is "Joined" necessary? At least those of us from the dawn of the 21st century, what else could it be? (Birthday, I wish...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Was there, for just a moment, TWO flags per user-badge? One center-ish and one bottom-left? That's what I saw when I came back from the kitchen. On re-load, just one flag
Yes, it was a bug in the classic theme, it was there for about 30 minutes.

Kinda agree. I note that I have worked with sites where the www. was important or essential.
It's just a visual change - the www remains in the link, it's just stripped from the displayed characters.

Also I had 'hidden' the path to my avatar in that rare-seen field, and you splattered it for all to see!
I don't understand this, but if I broke or can fix something let me know. You had some data in your public fields but it wasn't meant to be public?

I note we did just turn off all members about pages for all guests and non-established members, for privacy but mostly to help with spammers (who are considered non-established) using it to post junk links.

Did something just change regards the display of your about section? Or are you talking about the "postbit"?

Websites were shown pre-migration.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
is "Member" necessary? Which named entities here are non-members? (Oh, I see, some of us are "More".)
I'm fond of it. I did try all kinds of variations. That is a space that can show whether someone is a regular member, or a moderator, or administrator, or (for members who have bought upgrades), a space to put a funny title. Add a little flourish of personality.

Some sites have ladders based on the number of posts, XF themselves have two tier "member", "well-known member". I'm not against implementing that.
Is "Joined" necessary?

The join date is I think useful. It shows casual readers who has been around a while, and who is a johnny-come-lately (this issue would be solved by the "member" and "well-known" member nomenclature as well).

Also, we did show join date (and location) pre-migration, and I felt this brings a little bit of the classic diyAudio postbit (that's the name for that space) vibes back.

Just because something has always been done some way doesn't mean it should continue to be though, and feedback is always welcome.

Website - that seemed to be a nice space for it, but it could also be removed and swap in an icon next to the name.

Neither website nor join date are shown on mobile. There's space for them on desktop.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
XF themselves have two tier "member", "well-known member". I'm not against implementing that.
Seems like a good idea, perhaps it could be either:
1. If you have been a member for a certain period of time.
2. Or preferably perhaps someone that have demonstrated at least some degree of factual knowledge and/or skill.

The latter option would be very helpful for new members, as it can sometimes be difficult to know who gives the best advice when the canvas is freshly strapped to the easel so to speak.

The flag thing looks very nice now, it is a very crisp and clean look, minimal yet functional.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Or preferably perhaps someone that have demonstrated at least some degree of factual knowledge and/or skill
This would require someone to ordain people which sadly is something will cause intense controversy.

A period of time (5 years) or number of posts (500) would probably do the job.

The flag thing looks very nice now, it is a very crisp and clean look, minimal yet functional
Thanks. I think so too. It's an SVG so scales perfectly and is crisp even on high dpi screens.

Possibly the website section could go.

I would say both of those should be a requirement, some members are less involved than others. 500 posts is nothing.

Edit:
Possibly the website section could go.
You want people to put it in the sig line instead?

What would you call it?
"Experienced member"?

Edit2:
Perhaps 10 years and 1000 posts could be "Distinguished Member"? The post count is still significantly lower than what most moderately active members have.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Hopefully not 500 posts about preffered movies, cartoons, music or food in the Lounge section ...
When I registered on Chess.com there was a minor requirement to play at least 10 games to be allowed to enter the forums and ask a question.When I showed with real statistics over 7 illegal accounts I made that the site was using a rigged pairing algorithm to keep people with simillar rating in lower rating leagues and make people pay for chess lessons, even though if they made a new account they could easily pump up their rating by 2...400 points.
They banned all the accounts which I did expect, I knew it was illegal from the start, but also raised the number of posts to allow a new member enter the forum, then paired it with an AI check of how the rating of the new member was obtained, because in my statistics game I showed how to artificially pump up your rating up to 1700 elo points in the first 6 games then keep it for the next 10 games when my real rating was below 1300...That made me learn a bit of chess and how to get to 1700 rating in the first place , but they wanted now consistent 1700 rating over at least 50 games to allow me post again in the forums which was very hard for me. At the time a true 1750 elo points player got in contact with me as he was curious about it and I told him to try my method at his level and he was able to get to 2200 elo level in his first 10 games after making some 8 different accounts.Well...that didn't get well with chess.com at the time and at least for me it's no wonder that it faces a 200 million dollars lawsuit for illegal schemes...and it's biggest ennemy is the only approved statistician by FIDE.
The World chess champion himself acknowledged in a short video that the pairing algorithm gave him more games with black pieces than whites...and thus incriminated himself as part of the lawsuit...
I'd say that even a number of posts in the technical forums wouldn't be a great indicator of a member's quality...
I think a true member's quality is not something an automatic rating scheme finds easy to implement ... In the end electronics is a highly theoretical and technical profession and the best proffessionals are easy to spot.If you don't get a damn clue of what they are telling about, then they are the true Proffessionals :)

Last edited:
If you don't get a damn clue of what they are telling about, then they are the true Proffessionals :)
Part of the problem is that I have seen some examples of people spouting nonsense that occasionally manage to convince some poor soul to trod a both perilous and pointless path.
Digging deep into the dictionary and/or thesaurus to write lots of fancy words does not necessarily mean that you have a clue.

I think the idea of a specific length of time together with a number of posts is a neutral way to give everyone the same thing.
If there is a way to easily exclude posts from the lounge that is fine, but whether that is possible or not:
I do think that a sign of experience of some sort may be beneficial for newer members to differentiate which advice to follow in some cases.

I do not have the statistics in front of me, but the biggest part of my posts are probably in the subwoofer and the fullrange section. Spent a long time frowning at the lounge before clicking on it if my memory serves me correctly, I do not think that is the first place people go to.

Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The join date is I think useful.
I only meant the word "Joined".

And if not a "Special" member (Owner, Admin, Moderator, maybe Binned), then saying "Member" seems pointless. (Or does the layout collapse badly without that word?)

Time and post-count are terrible ways to judge a person. Maybe 30 days/10 posts, if we had a tradition of Welcoming new members, which sadly doesn't happen here. Another chatroom goes way too far:

You have earned 18 badges so far!
10 Replies 5 Replies Second Reply First Reply
25 Kudos ‎10 Kudos
5 Visits 2 Visits
Complete Biography Image Upload
Set Location Set your Avatar Welcome! Made the Move

Account Closed
Joined 2010
When in your life did you learn from good advice instead of failures or at least your experiments? I think Darwin and Murphy own the evolution thing...
Besides...flags are linked to nationalism thus politics...I thought politics is not allowed here, isn't it :) ?
The more details you offer someone when trying to sell an object or an idea, the more seed of doubts you plant in his mind.I always sold for better money or got more influence over others when I offered less details on the transaction or my goals.

Last edited:
"No use prevaricating about the bush." - Unless that is a particular skill you have.
So while discussing the potential to change "Member" to "Something else" and what the basic criteria for that transition should be, you decide via a rather impressive digression that it is Politics and should not be discussed per forum regulations.

You have a point regarding failures = lessons learnt, but it never hurts to have a schematic, recipe or in this case well-meaning individual to at least guide you in the right direction.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I wish you luck in finding a recipee for that...I know people with more than 10 000 posts and at least 10 years on this forum that didn't open a single technical thread with their own discoveries for at least a decade since their start on this forum, that actually tell something useful. They are easily found in the lounge section every day of the week discussing other's rights, resting their whole limbs on the Report button...Even when they get into the technical sections they only quote other's work or findings ... I'd like to do the same myself caùse I feel it works in building a reputation here and friendships...
I hope one day I'll never show anything of my work here and get used with nervously resting my fingers on that Report button in the Lounge section.It makes a lot of sense to have a "free talk section"where people hunt other's behavior making quite a career from that...a career that spreads over decades and tens of thousands of garbage posts.
"Plagiarizing" said one member one day about me posting schematics .Well I can stop doing that and just populate the lounge section too.Will you count the posts I'm gonna write there in the next 5 years?

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
If it was me running this place and still want a clear indication on people's true value on the forum, I'd shut down the Lounge section and the ones similar to it . There's Facebook , Tweeter, Insta and many others for socializing even with Kim Jong Un if you want.You have there real photos, true interactions with names and goals, you can fill there countless reports on people you never saw in your life that Facebook bots will graciously ignore , show off with your grandious life on every possible page, have 4999 "true" friends, millions of posts about everything, etc...
Here's just about audio related diyelectronics .