FirstWatt J2

My first inclination is brute force, but in this case considering the limited frequency range and the bulk aspect was what got me wondering.

It is true, the dead reliability and assurance of good sound quality with a choke supply does tilt the scale.

Could it be a need to do SOMETHING with those heat sinks? Likely.

finally its running, thanks to gerd who has given me a very cheap price. gerd, i find that you open some garage sale of your toys, already getting bored? :D

last week i lost my caps due to reversed polarity, now I almost lost the precious SS. I forgot to put mica and thermal grease, since my dmm shows more thab 20V on speaker out, i realized something was wrong. I'm lucky no smoke since it turned on for only several second.

as Papa suggestion, ccs is replaced with irfp240, now I have extra pair of SS :)

my first impression vs AlephJ is that J2 soundstage is bigger, and better separation on music instrument.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
did I ever write ……:D:D…..

that my clone always sounded a bit muffled compared to Nelsons original J2….:D:D

Though he even helped us in a private mail to dsdjoy and me to set some parameters and despite he encouraged us to go on……

we could not discover the secret why his J2 always had more room and more clarity.

with a bit more knowledge after some years passed I suppose we did not get the negative k2 phase the original seems to have and maybe that selecting the SS for Ciss or some of these things might be responsible for the difference.

But as gadut says it sounds nevertheless very good compared to other self-made First Watt clones like F4 or Aleph J or F5.

It has a special appealing character!

So buy the original!

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
here is example of common mode choke (and windings polarity for that) , good amp - NEM AI-50

Attachments

• AI50.jpg
    AI50.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 554
generg,

I am not building a J2 - I have a J2 and I am making them mono amps with a box I got on EBAY.

Duplicate PSs will be the only difference - they will be different than what came in the original amp since getting a second PLITRON is prohibitive with their high minimum order I will use ANTEKs and a choke between the caps instead of the resistors. All else will be just as was specified by the great and beloved Ing. Pass.

ZM,

SO, do you think that LUNDAHL choke would work? I have no idea what the current draw of the amplifier is - I see that they are listed at 200 watts power consumption but would that translate into 100 watts each?

I looked at that drawing earlier after you mentioned it. The LUNDAHL spec sheet shows how to use it and the NEMS is just like the LUNDAHL spec sheet.

Seems if one is to use a choke might as well be the best possible implementation. The question is would 5 amps capacity be OK? What do you think?

I am going to use these for the filament supply in the 4P1L linestage I have been collecting parts for two years - if they don't work here I know I can use them with that.

Is it worth a try?

@gerd
I still remember your post about your first impression of J2 clone, however it does not stop me to get one. I'm only expecting to get something better than AJ clone (same single ended with ccs),not comparing to original FW. I have no plan to buy original one, my wallet dont have enough money :D I think that is the biggest reason why we do DIY rite, because we are cheap.

my M2 is populated except jfet which is waiting for alweit package, lets see how push pull sounds. my SIT self bias is waiting mpercy caddock power resistor, i bet this will be on the top list, followed by J2 and M2. maybe I'll sell AJ board to my friend, he has built Aleph5 ebay clone and sound horrible compared to my AJ

anyway, my first diy amplifier mauro penasa gainclone which had blown me for its first impression compared to tripath amp, now this gainclone has no place anymore on my list, but it is still usable for watching tv :) FW clone is really addictive, i'm glad that i get into the right path.

@rick
I build J2 clone with separate psu box, a copy to Papa style on Xs amp chassis. its monoblock, using 2 talema toroid. btw my friend had tried antek toroid and its inferior to talema, so i think that antek will also will be far inferior to plitron, price wont lie. I'm using air core inductor 3mH 0.6dcr, its local wound and its just warm with J2 clone. I measure that 0.332V exist on source resistor, it will translate into 1.4A on your inductor will see if making monoblock.

Since you have original one, i suggest not to change anything, Papa have his own secret to make them sound incredible

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The M2 is the wilder one, the J2 sounds more cultivated and refined, but it is really a matter of taste.
M2 is a good rock'n roller.
Meridian CD Player, UGS pre, Lowther PM6 open baffle or Klipsch Forte II.
In the basement ESL57 is waiting for refurbishment.

:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM,

I like the idea of the LUNDAHL "common mode" connection but I am not sure how the transformer sees this? Is it parallel or series?

The LL2733 can handle 5 A in parallel.

Could I get away with this on a mono J2?

Your consideration, please.

(I will never put another channel in the box)

something like this

Attachments

• FW PSU with common choke.jpg
    FW PSU with common choke.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 468