FirstWatt J2

I've got the building itch. I'm VERY impressed with the Aleph4 that I've inherited. It works perfectly with the B&W 683's that came with the amp. Nelson states that the Aleph J was the best of the Alephs, would it suit the less than efficient B&Ws? I do find that the 100W of the Aleph4 give them the headroom that makes them sound magic.

I recently changed speakers to a 2.5 way, where 3 Accutons C173 drivers run in parallel in lower bass area. Impedance minimum slightly lower than 4 ohm, efficiency 89dB. Not being my main topic, the speakers are great.

J2 (diy attempt) is even more great, but can not deliver the volts/amperes in the bass section for my speakers.

I have the idea to build a Turbo-J2 - if that makes sense at all - but I am not an amp-circuit designer expert.

Thinking about parallel Semisouth in output.
Any idea's / suggestions on a J2-like 'simplified' schematic with parallel Semithsouth in output ?

I recommended ACA because after building F6, the ACA looks interesting with SS fets because it has no degeneration on the lower fet. So if you haveheard the ACA and like the sound with IRF's, the SS in lower position becomes even more interesting.

Nelson,
Is the feedback in the ACA acting as a two stage schade circuit?

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Perhaps. The biggest issue is deciding on what will be the specified input transformer(s). (As specifying one may be inconvenient for some)I would also like to take a peek at the production version's schematic to see what everything evolved into...

That said, the Tea-Bag PCB kinda sorta fit on the UMS.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The single biggest issue is magnetic induction - those tiny little transformers are in the same metal case as a big-honkin' toroid, which even if shielded, has magnetic flux all around. So in a perfect world, the input transformers are both on the same side of the case, and as far from the power transformer as possible - this means, most likely, a mirror set of PCB.

Now you could of course mount one 'upside down' in regards to the other, but then the output devices will be mounted low on one channel's heatsink, and high on the other. This will have effectively no difference on the heat transfer and efficiency of the heatsink, but trust me, the natives will become very restless and much gnashing of teeth will occur. They hate things that are unsymmetrical...

Anyway, more space between 2 mosfets isn't the issue for this amp, transformer mounting position is everything.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I completely agree.

I also understand why the Tea Bag boards were made that way, and think it was a great decision for his customers. A Store board needs to be accountable to the UMS and something similar to the original NP boards would be ideal.