FirstWatt J2

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Definitely visting Germany soon. This sounds like my kind of electronics enviroment.
Tubes not allowed.

ya nutz ?

Vaterland of Telefunken , Siemens , Klangfilm .............. to name just a few .......

same as going to US of A , and saying - naah ....... I don't care for Indian 'cycles .....

:p

edit: now I'm going to pet my 'funken RL12P35's with stamped Svastika's , to have some relief of this frustration .......

Attachments

• tp.jpg
    tp.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Ultra Audio reviews the J2:

SoundStageXtreme.com | UltraAudio.com | First Watt J2 Stereo Amplifier

Summary
I expected Nelson Pass’s First Watt J2 power amplifier to be almost as good as a good tube amplifier, but it wasn’t -- it was better than most tube amps I’ve tried. It’s possible to find better-sounding tube amps, but you’d better be prepared to part with a lot more cash.

That's bound to raise a few eyebrows.

Tweaks for the J2

At this point I am using my J2 for subwoofers but I came across this list of tweaks by a fellow I respect.

I do think he is kidding himself when he claims these (mostly standard) tweaks will bring a J2 to SIT performance. If only it was true ...

First Watt Mods

From the article:
I have no doubt that a tweaked J2 amp would seriously beat the Sit 1 amps. Just removing the LEDs is an amazing upgrade.....try it!

I have long been suspicious of LED's yet I hear people I respect tell me that they are nothing to fear. Any opinions here as to whether this makes any difference?

Another thing he suggests is removing the thermistors which I do not doubt might make a difference but with output devices having a finite supply might not be a good idea at all.

What is the current wisdom on LED's and thermistors as regards their effect on sound quality?