FirstWatt J2

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Or just use an independent bias string for the top output FET; maybe a CCS diode feeding a resistor (R1) to set a voltage, then a sizeable resistance (R2) feeding the gate stopper resistor (R3). From the junction of resistors R2 and R3 connect a capacitor to the amp output node. In essence very similar to what the tube guys do on a hybrid 'mu follower'.

Last edited:
Circlotron demystified

The way to understand a circlotron is to meditate on it until
you reach enlightenment. When you understand the
circlotron you can move on to quantum mechanics.

:cool:

not kidding.

It seems to me that John Broskie's article "Cars, Planes, and Circlotrons" provides the keys to understanding the circlotron because of its behavioral equilavence to the totom pole topology. Unless I am totally missing something, there isn't any "Quantum weirdness" here.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
dear Nelson Pass in f2j the SJEP120R100 are used only for q1 or q2 too?
best regards Max

I am not Nelson, but I retrofited my F2, It's Q1.

Additionally - From Nelson Pass
The F2's that I have updated with the JFETs need the
following changes:

R6 = 47k

C1 = 10 uF

Z1 removed

The potentiometer must be re-adjusted for minimum
distortion at 4.5 watts (symmetric clipping) and readjusted
after an hour..

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Tea-Bag
will one ssr100 handle in follower 3a bias 33v from transformer?

I would guess it would with plenty of sinking, but I would think a current source of IRFP240 would not. The IRFP240's are recommended to run less than 65c. The math escapes me on what the F2-F2j is doing for output. I think it's 65watts total per side, so that's roughly 33 watts a device? Someone else surely has a more precise answer.:eek:

I would guess it would with plenty of sinking, but I would think a current source of IRFP240 would not. The IRFP240's are recommended to run less than 65c. The math escapes me on what the F2-F2j is doing for output. I think it's 65watts total per side, so that's roughly 33 watts a device? Someone else surely has a more precise answer.:eek:
24w per chanel
but irfp240 only for ED
for curent source i use 2sk1530

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,687
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg