FirstWatt J2

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Okay, but will doing so

I'm not sure a soft start is necessary but I'm sure others will chime in, possibly Nelson himself.
If the old caps short out and hit my speakers with a spike I'd likely be badly screwed because my vintage Yamaha JA6681B drivers have no replacement diaphragms. Thus, assuming that the safest route is to replace all of the electrolytics in an amp this old, do Pass Labs or another company offer cap replacements on the J2?

I would be surprising if the « old » caps short out. Just power it without no speaker or with a cheap speaker pair wired to it. If no boom and music you are good to go. It’s not a vintage amp from the 70s. It’s a top of the line amp with very good quality part. If the power supply caps have somehow degraded, it will not go boom on your speaker, most likely just a little hum. Maybe

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
Paid Member
BINGO! Forgot about my cheap pair of Panasonic speakers. Using those together with the Variac for a few hours should prove a good test.

Sorry, no can do adason. With the average system impedance and sensitvity of my new speakers, the J2 is probably about the best match I'll ever find for them. https://www.stereophile.com/content/first-watt-j2-power-amplifier-measurements

Thanks all.

Just to illustrate :

J2_Clone_317HV Sch.png

Patrick

Reactions: 3 users