First Watt F7 review

It can be done but I just built my own version of F7 from scratch.
There are so few parts to it, it makes sense just to build a new amp then you can also do a direct comparison with your F5.
Also remember Lateral mosfets have a pinout of GSD.
The F5 IRF mosfets have a pinout of GDS.
Something to remember when recycling an existing F5 pcb.

So, how does it compare to the F6 etc. ?

I have read the reviews and built some approximation to the F7, listening to it with the Kairos speakers by Jeff Bagby. The amplifier is as good as the 6Moons Review says and it should sell like hotcakes. That means that Papa should sell a pile of them quickly and the DIY world might see the official design sooner rather than later. Amazing sound for such a simple design.

Ihquam,
Would you care to share the schematic you used to build your version of F7? I would like to try it myself. You can e-mail me. Thanks.

I plan to build IHQuam's inverted type 2 when I figure out the expanded version, but in the mean time I'm building the AmpCampAmp that I bought a couple of years ago and would like to incorporate positive feedback into it.
Would it be as simple as running a resistor between the -Out and the +side of C3? If so, what value should I use (or start with)? [Asking here because there's more people here who understand positive feedback.] Thanks.

Good to hear David, thanks.
I've ordered some upgrade resisters and capacitors, some recommended jacks, wire is still TBD and will follow Zen Mod's use in his pre.
Nelson said that because of the inverting topology, positive feedback would be better left out. Sorry for the F7 digression...back to our normal discussion.

I have a Amp Camp Amp. I modified it with better wire and jacks. Made a big improvement. It's a must mod. I love it. Only problem is it sounds so good I've never got around to finishing my f5.

Hi David. This post would be more helpful on the ACA thread - glad I saw it here. I am planning on building ACA's next. Could you be more specific please as to what "better" wire and jacks are? I would like to do it as good as possible from the start and I am not using the Store kit. Thank you.

Joined 2000
Paid Member

Attachments

• tts.jpg
    tts.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,258
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I got help from a generous member in the design of the F7 through the use of their simulator software. This amp (F7 simulation) is NOT a F7 clone. It is a simulation based on some known elements. Sim is slightly similar to some of the simplified schematics already posted here, but my memory tells me this implementation is somewhat different as well.

I'm not going to post the schematic, because it's not mine to post. Don't ask. :)

At any rate, I think as simple as this amp is, I think Big Daddy will still surprise us in some way in a few years if and when the real F7 is released.

The sim looks as reasonable as any other schematic I have seen here, so why not try it? The numbers look good, and the worst that can happen is it's just another nice sounding Class A amp.

I have all the power supply elements (600VA Antek), all resistors and a set of laterals. Alfets- half arrived. I think I bought the last 10 p-ch from Newark UK. Sorry. :eek: They will not arrive until 6/19/17. That's probably a re-order from the manufacturer anyway.

I move slow when building anything anymore, so it will be a while before anything materializes.

Vince

ps. just got off chat with Newark. Seems they messed up. They were supposed to send the p-ch from the US. They feel sorry for the inconvenience and are sending them by Friday for free. Lucky me. ;)

V.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
look here....for replacements from Exicon....

data sheets show for my eye no important difference....and people say they are even better.

Exicon Lateral MOSFETS - Cross-reference Charts

and congratulation to your second posting.... :--))

irritating that your profile has the name cjr888's Profile

may be a fault!

Attachments

• AF08P16V.pdf
    628.3 KB · Views: 138
  • ALF08N16V.pdf
    634.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ecx10n20.pdf
    226.1 KB · Views: 129
  • ecx10p20.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited: