First Watt at RMAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sorry about my so-so photo. There was a strong backlight.

Attachments

• img_0648.jpg
    img_0648.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,400
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
mrothacher said:
Sorry about my so-so photo. There was a strong backlight.

Very much intersted in. . .

By the way, do you have any drawing of the baffle/bracket sizes? If so, could I have get one copy of it?

I'm going to make a similar one, using JX92s speaker with an woofer having the following spec:

Nominal dia. 12in
Rated impedance 8 ohms
Sesitivity 100 dB 1W @ 1m
Frequency range 30-5000 Hz
Voice coil dia. 3in

Many thanks!

:)

The Crossover

Hi Folks:

Information will be added to my website about this speaker as a DIY. An article for EnjoyTheMusic.com's new DIY e-zine will be coming out shortly.

But in the meanwhile, I used a 52uf cap and a 12 mH coil as a single order, series crossover. This was a 16 ohm system, use 104uf and 6mH for an 8 ohm system.

By series crossover I mean:
Capacitor parallel with the woofer (Tone Tubby 12 Alnico 16 ohm)
Inductor parallel with the fullrange (Lowther PM6A, ticonal, 15 ohm, silver voice coil)
Amp to + of fullrange. - of fullrange to + of woofer. - of woofer to - of amp.

Baffle is 18" wide, 40" tall. Fullrange centered 9" from the top edge. Woofer is centered 9" from the bottom edge. Wings to each side are 12" at base, tapered with a 5 degree angle on the front and rear. Wings are 21" tall.

If this is not clear, just write and I will send a drawing & schematic to anyone who ask.

Jon at Lowther-America dot com You know how to correct this!

Joined 2006
Re: The Crossover

Jon Ver Halen said:
Hi Folks:

Information will be added to my website about this speaker as a DIY. An article for EnjoyTheMusic.com's new DIY e-zine will be coming out shortly.

But in the meanwhile, I used a 52uf cap and a 12 mH coil as a single order, series crossover. This was a 16 ohm system, use 104uf and 6mH for an 8 ohm system.

By series crossover I mean:
Capacitor parallel with the woofer (Tone Tubby 12 Alnico 16 ohm)
Inductor parallel with the fullrange (Lowther PM6A, ticonal, 15 ohm, silver voice coil)
Amp to + of fullrange. - of fullrange to + of woofer. - of woofer to - of amp.

Baffle is 18" wide, 40" tall. Fullrange centered 9" from the top edge. Woofer is centered 9" from the bottom edge. Wings to each side are 12" at base, tapered with a 5 degree angle on the front and rear. Wings are 21" tall.

If this is not clear, just write and I will send a drawing & schematic to anyone who ask.

Jon at Lowther-America dot com You know how to correct this!

Great, many thanks!
I will send you mail asking the drawing and schematic.

Cheers,

Joined 2006
Re: The Crossover

Jon Ver Halen said:

Attached is my sketch of the open baffle based on yout kind input.
If my interpretation is correct, kindly forget my mail sent to you, asking your drawing and schematic.

Cheers,

Attachments

• openbaffle.jpg
    openbaffle.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,080
You are real close

Hi Bobowana:

Sorry, I never did get your e-mail, otherwise I would have replied by now. Your sketch is pretty good. The side wings have a 5 degree tilt to them, you have something a bit more than that. The offset at the top of the wing should be 43mm, you show it as 50mm.

Overall width is closer to 460mm. If I had to build it again, the driver would be slightly offset to one side. Right now it is the same distance from the center of the driver to each side and to the top. I would move it 25mm to one side, so that each of those distances is slightly different.

I used 18mm baltic birch for the initial trials. Then switched to 45mm thick maple. Maple did sound better, it is more rigid. Be sure to use spikes between the floor and the baffle, they help a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.