First time DIY'er - Mono Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was on the hunt for a pair of mono blocks when it hit me... "Why not save the coin and build your own?" Then it hit me again... "You've never done this and you will kill yourself." :RIP:

I've never built an amp before but I believe I have enough of a drive to figure it out with the help of you fine folks. I'm absolutely sure that going the DIY route will pay off in the end and get me better sound quality than I could have afforded otherwise. I want to build a pair of smaller amps that will fit into my Ikea shelf (No more than 12.5" wide, 15" high, 15.5" deep). I don't have to go with mono's but honestly, I thought they'd look cool on my shelf.

I don't have an electronics background nor any idea on how to read a schematic, but don't give up on me. I've rebuilt crossovers and have some confidence with a soldering iron.

One reason I've decided to go this route is because my budget was blown on my speakers, the Philharmonic Audio Slims here: The Slims Tower

They're not efficient speakers by any means (85dB), but I have a very small listening room and won't be listening at crazy levels, but I do want to have control of the bottom end.

So where should I start? Should I go mono's? I have a loose budget of $500. Honestly I have no preference whether it's class A - A/B - D - ACDC (joke). I just want good sound with my speakers.

I REALLY appreciate the help guys and look forward to my first build.

Last edited:
Hi Shanewayne,

You can build a nice amp with the hypex modules: https://www.hypexshop.com/
When using them you need to create a powersupply or can by it complete too.
Another option is a chip-amp like the ones from audiosector: DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.
Some very good results can be done with the Nelson Pass DIY amps.
You will find a lot of informations and instructions about these amps.
Another well documented page is the following: ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics

Whooo! Those are nice, and certainly not cheap.:eek:
Might be a good idea to make sure there is a reliable speaker protection scheme. It would be a shame to blow out one of those because of a failed output device or some other component failure causes DC to melt a voice coil.:headbash:

Absolutely beautiful speakers - but inefficient at @85db.
But they are quite "hungry" for power.

Most Seas 6-8" woofers are 150W-250W.

Under 500 :confused: .... used 120W+ class AB Ebay amp - recapped.

No nelson pass amp or other "rinky dink" amp will power those speakers.
The 180W hypex modules too expensive.

Either DIY with a recycled e-waste pro-amp or an Ebay recapped classic amp.
Never will you build 2 - 200W monoblocks for under 500.
Edit - any classic discrete japanese amp with paralleled output stages (2 pair or more)
is the ticket for those hungry speakers.

OS

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.

If I stretched my budget to $1,000 to get 250w+ per mono, what DIY project territory am I in?

400W territory !!!

PPM leach / blameless / or any other design on the forum (modular - below).
Add 600VA toroid , 50Kuf capacitance , and a protection board - killer
performance.
OS

Attachments

• 400W.jpg
    400W.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 229
plan B =
1. buy some badgers off the diya store.

2. "harden them" with semelab MG6330/9410-R outputs , VAS current 8+ma ,
Big heatsinks ....

3. Add the 500VA 45-0-45V trafo , 50K capacitance , and protection board.

You would have 250W/8R - 400W/4R.

The "badger" board can be configured/compensated many different ways.
But you could not swap leach's and other input stages.
As overbuilt monoblocks - Badgers would be quite powerful and precise.

Edit - amp I posted will do <400W - 8R .... maybe 500+ /4R (PS vs SOA -MT-200 devices).
A bit more than the badger - but I'm using that as a sub amp.
OS

Last edited:
All the SlewMaster artwork I have produced for professional manufacture (the boards ostripper is showing you) has been published as a ZIP of files >HERE<.

You could choose which boards you want and have a board house make you a small number, though small quantities won't be really economical. Maybe just ask in the main thread is anyone is planning on ordering some or has done so with spares to offer? The package has been downloaded a number of times so I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there is planning on ordering or has already ordered some.

plan B =
1. buy some badgers off the diya store.

2. "harden them" with semelab MG6330/9410-R outputs , VAS current 8+ma ,
Big heatsinks ....

3. Add the 500VA 45-0-45V trafo , 50K capacitance , and protection board.

You would have 250W/8R - 400W/4R.

The "badger" board can be configured/compensated many different ways.
But you could not swap leach's and other input stages.
As overbuilt monoblocks - Badgers would be quite powerful and precise.

Edit - amp I posted will do <400W - 8R .... maybe 500+ /4R (PS vs SOA -MT-200 devices).
A bit more than the badger - but I'm using that as a sub amp.
OS

OS, can't thank you enough for kickstarting this.

Can I build the "badger" and keep to my original space requirements? 12" W x 13" H x 15" D?

All the SlewMaster artwork I have produced for professional manufacture (the boards ostripper is showing you) has been published as a ZIP of files >HERE<.

You could choose which boards you want and have a board house make you a small number, though small quantities won't be really economical. Maybe just ask in the main thread is anyone is planning on ordering some or has done so with spares to offer? The package has been downloaded a number of times so I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there is planning on ordering or has already ordered some.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying it would be more economical to not buy from the diyaudio store?

I appreciate the help!

This is the one, no?

The diyAB "Honey Badger" Class AB Power Amp - 150W/Channel (2 Channels) Rev 2.4 - Circuit Boards

Where do I find the rest?

Guys I've never been active here so I'm getting a little lost. Be patient with me & thank you for the help.

You have the right place for the Honey Badger. You will also want some of the other wares from the store too. DIYA offers a generic PSU and a Soft Start / Speaker Protect set you might consider to go with them as well. Antek might be a good source for a transformer and go to the Chinese for a suitable case unless you feel rich enough for one of the stores Modushop chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.