First time diy, which sub driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

This is going to be the very first time I'm going to diy a speaker or sub in this case. I have settled on starting with vented sub-woofer and I'm looking at 2 brands. Sundown Audio and Stereo Integrity.

I want to build a 15" subwoofer (although from SI's website it looks like they only have 12" or 18").

Does anyone have a recommendation? Even if it is another brand. Links below.

Thanks in advance!

Subwoofers

Subs | Product Categories | Stereo Integrity

It will be used in my home theater system. I came across these as a recommendation on another forum. One of the users said that application isn't as important. Budget wise i would go up to 750$. Maybe 1000$. But if I pay less I won't complain.

Car audio is not hi-fi.
These speakers have an enormous gigantic moving mass and massives excursions.
Clearly not designed for fidelity... what is your goal ?
Fidelity or funny visceral massages ?

Last edited:
Car audio is not hi-fi.
These speakers have an enormous gigantic moving mass and massives excursions.
Clearly not designed for fidelity... what is your goal ?
Fidelity or funny visceral massages ?

Is it not the case that a large driver moving a tiny excursion will have better fidelity than a small driver moving a large excursion, due to being less stressed?

I recall that Josh Ricci said the RF 19" monster driver he recently tested sounded like a pro driver, yet it's designed for ridiculous excursion and is far from small, and the SI 24" driver is said to sound very musical.

Wiggle8, what made you decide to go with this setup. Just want to make sure we have the same objectives. Reaching those belly rumbling frequencies is mine.
It has a high ratio of output to size and quite decent extension. Judging by the graphs I've seen it should hit 15 or 16 Hz without much trouble. I've also heard good things about the sound quality. It has a pretty monstrous throw of 28mm which means the swept volume is comparable to many 15" and 18".

Just to ask the questions... Is $1k the total budget available for all components and materials, or just the drivers? And how much space do you have to play with?

1k total budget would be ideal. I'm not struggling for space. I can accommodate 4 feet square I believe .

Which raises a question. If these speakers can extend far, should I make a sealed box to save space? Will they still achieve the desired results in a sealed box?

If I had 1K to spend on a subwoofer system my first suggestion would be to build a pair of subs instead of just one large one. Multiple subs goes a long way towards evening out room issues.

My second suggestion would be to look into some of the "Wrecker" horn designs by lilmike on AVS forums. I've built a PicoWrecker and it worked very well. If you have the space and want more output either a MicroWrecker or LilWrecker will mostly likely give you more output than you know what to do with when paired with an amp like a Behringer NU3000DSP. If you don't want to go down the horn route you might take a look at the "Marty" series of subs. All of these choices will be easy to end up with two subs and an amp for under $1k.

I'm going for LFE. I want to reproduce the waves that are felt. My system is only used for home theater. So I guess funny visceral massages, lol!!

Near your budget ... 1Kg of mms for 1K$.
It should destroy anything :eek:

HS24 Dual 2 ohm voice coils

Re 3.6 ohms
Fs 19.6 Hz
Qes 0.50
Qms 6.4
Qts 0.46
Le 4.2 mH
Sd 212943.8 mm^2
Vas 459 L
Bl 28.6
Mms 924 g

If you choose this one... take care to don't destroy your house (I'M NOT JOKING).

Last edited:
1k total budget would be ideal. I'm not struggling for space. I can accommodate 4 feet square I believe .

Which raises a question. If these speakers can extend far, should I make a sealed box to save space? Will they still achieve the desired results in a sealed box?

A sealed box usually gives a more linear response in room, imo.

However, to achieve the very lowest frequencies you will need more power and more drive unit excursion than a ported or Passive Radiator box.

A sealed box will not save space, the box needs to be bigger than a ported or PR box.

Silverprout, I'm looking to live in my house a little while longer :p. That and the wife will kill me.

MIKEVO, from what I read and understand a sealed box is smaller. Did I miss something?

I'm really leaning towards these 2 drivers:

HST18mkII 18″ Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity

HST12mkII 12″ Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity

If I understand the fs/Qes the 12" can be used either ported or sealed and the 18 is better sealed.

Are there more factors that I need to consider?

My friend has a dual 18 inch setup using SI drivers and had a 15 inch setup previously.

They work fantastically well in his Home theatre, with extremely high output and low distortion.

Need lots of current to drive them correctly.

I think these are the drivers.

DS4 18″ Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity

Buy two of these @ $259 each + shipping.

Add an Behringer iNuke6000DSP for $400, giving 2200wRMS per stereo channel @ 4Ohm.

Build a sealed, ~8cuft dual opposed box with dimensions of 2'x2'x2'.

Et voila... motion cancelling, lots of extension with EQ using the amp's inbuilt DSP, no risk of unloading underneath port tuning, and all for only a smidge over $1000.

For a first timer,
I'd suggest build a ported subwoofer using this Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm . Sometimes goes a bit cheaper if you can find a partsexpress coupon on the www

Tune it to about 23 - 25 Hz with a "slight" 30 Hz bump. This will give you a good balance between punch , extension and size . Sorry I don't have the measurements for the enclosure I built for it a few years ago. If you chase sub 20 Hz, you had better be ready to build something large . If you do want to go that route, .. the easiest / cheapest way would be to implement an EBS tuned sonotube (probably better for home theater than music as it will lack some of the slam). Some background info at http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported5.htm

Use a flared 4" dia port

If you're up for something more, consider the PPSL ideas suggested her, but for a beginner - consider my advise.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Zobsky. I did consider getting something less expensive, but I know my self. If I don't get what I would consider to be a "Cadillac" I will be disappointed. An I will spend more money to get what I wanted originally.

Unless you guys who do have experience (which is why I'm here) with this tell me that for my objective of reaching those very low LFE there is no difference.

On a side note I am going to take the Martysub approach to building. I found it really detailed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.