First time designing a sub, please check my work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dont be put off by the cheap looks of the venom, ive currently got 1 in a 40 litre ported box tuned to 35hz if i remember right, and it does great for music, can go really loud too if needed.

Only problem is they have trouble playing down really low, but u cant expect much better from a 8" for 40 $au.

The 5mm of xmax doesnt seem right to me, when u push the venom pretty hard it moves like 1.5 inch peak to peak, and still sounds fine, doesnt overdrive or anything.

postman said:
Dont be put off by the cheap looks of the venom, ive currently got 1 in a 40 litre ported box tuned to 35hz if i remember right, and it does great for music, can go really loud too if needed.

Only problem is they have trouble playing down really low, but u cant expect much better from a 8" for 40 $au.

The 5mm of xmax doesnt seem right to me, when u push the venom pretty hard it moves like 1.5 inch peak to peak, and still sounds fine, doesnt overdrive or anything.

yeah.. I want a cheap driver that'll take a fair bit of power, suit a smaller box, handle high cone excursion (weather its linear or not doesn't really matter) and that'll match up nicely with some 4inch mids and tweeters.. :) something that will outperform all those overpriced computer speakers and home theater systems (rated at about 50watts total)... so... yeah....

My friend wants to buy my "old" Technics amp... he said $70, I said $30, he said thats not enough... lol okay... $50 it is.. ;)

Hehhe yes that was me :p

Bit of creative wording here and there never hurt anyone :p

Still a mighty fine sub for the price, considering a regular consumer would spend more than 500 on a sub of similar performance.

Didnt sell it so im making another and keeping em ;)

edit :

Looking back on my winisd project, the box is actually 40 litres tuned to 37hz. Port was 85mmx243mm.

I think I may have a problem (another one, not so obvious ;)) how can I get 100-150watts into a 4ohm speaker with +- 25 volt rails...??? assuming the amp can swing the output to within 2volts of each rail, thats a 46volt swing... into 4 ohms that eqautes to 66watts.... can't be too expensive either... and I would really like to use ICs.... ofcourse the 4ohms isn't constant, it would probably drop... lets say 3 ohms... thats still only 88watts... perhaps the amp could swing to 1 volt from each rail... 48volts on the output.... 96watts... does anything I am saying even make sense... I'm bored.. school is sooooooo boring.. :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.