First Time building an Amp

Hey guys, I am totally new to the game and I've been looking for a while to try and find information to help me build a class D amp to power some speakers 4ohm rated at 45watts I have at home.
My requirements for the system are 30w x2 channels using a 12v DC supply and a 3.5mm audio jack. I would like to use readily available parts and since its my first time I am not too phased about over complicating it and having extremely good quality but I don't want it to sound like a tin can:LOL::LOL:. If anyone has previously posted a thread that could help or would like some more information from my side and is willing to share their knowledge, Please let me know and I look forward to joining this community!!

Reactions: 1 user
The OP said he was 'new to the game' although he doesn't say what his experience is.

Class D amps use SMD chips I believe so not for a beginner.

A kit might be okay but from scratch - no way without the experience and soldering SMD skills.

Photos of pcb's on Ali will give him an idea of what's involved.

There's nothing wrong with a tin can attached to a bit of string. It sounds better than some of the designs on here !

Have you checked out Aliexpress for an off-the-shelf product?
I would like to build one hence why I don't want an off the shelf Amp. I am currently studying mechatronic engineering and although I have good idea about how amps work, components and yes soldering skills, the course is fairly limited and this is a project for me to expand my knowledge.

The OP said he was 'new to the game' although he doesn't say what his experience is.

A kit might be okay but from scratch - no way without the experience and soldering SMD skills.

As I have now mentioned I have some skills but all theoretical and I really want to put some practical experience to them. I have thought of a kit but for me I see it almost as an easy way out of that makes sense but I am considering it 😂

As I have now mentioned I have some skills but all theoretical and I really want to put some practical experience to them. I have thought of a kit but for me I see it almost as an easy way out of that makes sense but I am considering it

Yes, might, his choise.

Meanwhile, browsing the net I found this:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects/how-to-build-a-class-d-power-amplifier/
Even if Brix78 wants a Ali kit, there's some usefull info about ClassD.
Along the way, he might learn a thing or two :)

Hugo
the link explains the principles in a nice way, but the practical circuit is quite basic.
A fixed frequency pwm with LMC555 as sawtooth generator provides bad linearity.
LM393 comparator are the cheapest and worst available etc.
No protection circuits in sight - etc
All in all this might work - but with mediocre sound quality.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If Brix would like to build a ClassA amp, I would be able to point him to a few good and simple designs.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with ClassD but I'm sure you could do the same.
If you know which ones to avoid, you surely must know the better ones, without SMD :)

Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm sure a good SMPS would do. :)
Cheap and available in many voltage and current varieties.
I build mine with an existing F5 supply and only had to switch boards.

_MG_3379.JPG

_MG_3380.JPG

I swapped the 500va linear supply of my Krell KSA50 clones for a pair of 300w 'audio grade' + -36v SMPS from this company:

https://hifimediy.com/product-category/power-supplies/

I was testing them yesterday and was happy with the noise spectrum and level.

They seem expensive, but a 500va Toroid, rectifiers, and .1F of smoothing caps wasn't much less and both of the SMPS modules fit inside the amp chassis.
They also have a +-12v output which I used to operate the speaker protection and drive a 5v cooling fan via a separate small LM317/337 regulator module.