First Time Builder, Building a Cheap Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have another suggestion, better bass.
Get a small full range driver with an extended top end and run a cheap woofer as a .5 driver using the biggest coil you can afford, about 12mH works for me.

The coil in series with the woofer, only lets the woofer play below 120Hz and the full range plays everything.

I've done a couple of these lately , but using older scrounged 8inch drivers from old stereo boxes I find on the side of the road.

I suggest scrounging at yard sales first, only drawback is that a high value coils can be expensive.

I was thinking about something like this recently... but it occurred to me.... isn't the fullranger going to run out of xmax at sub-80Hz frequencies really quickly? wouldn't it be sensible to highpass that as well as lowpassing the sub?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I tried this after a post by Rabbitz regarding Vifa P-13 2-way speakers.

It works by taking some of the bass from the full range driver so that the full-ranger isn't been asked to do everything.
My limited experience ( 3 0r 4 speakers ) says that it works best with woofers with a relatively smooth response and an impedance and DCR close to the full range.

The last set used a full range mid-woofer that was DCR 7.8 and the .5 woofer was DCR 6.9, if the woofer impedance at the cut-off point was that ( which it would not be) then maximum current would go to the driver with the least resistance wouldn't it.

I used a 12.6mH coil so the mid-woofer was sharing current blow 120 Hz and then less and less at 6dB per octave

Any documented two ways using the Peerless 830656 5.25 or the
830657 6.50 and a budget tweet, maybe the Dayton nd20fb ?

I wish there was more interest in the true budget category among designers that like to post projects on the web.

Now that so many of the lower priced driver choices have been dropped by Mad and PE I'm suprised that there aren't a dozen or so designs using these peerless mid/woof.

Budget.

Are you nailed down to that 6 inch or there abouts size.
I have seen a lot of good builds with 12 inch woofer and a big horn. The e-wave series.
Now I have a a few 12 inch woof old school magnavox, 12 inch metal horn also maggie, I pulled from a old school cabinet I would sell you the 2 pairs of those and a pair of cross overs - enough to build a pair of speakers minus the wood for 50 and shipping.

Cool.
Srinath.

Any documented two ways using the Peerless 830656 5.25 or the
830657 6.50 and a budget tweet, maybe the Dayton nd20fb ?
On the Vifa.de site you can find a design with the 830656: StartAirKit 3R
It refers wrongly to the 830657 but the woofer is the SDS 5.25".
On the same page you can find also two other designs with the 830657 (a bookshelf and a floorstander).
The tweeter is the Vifa BC25TG15-04 for all the designs.

Without knowing the first design I mentioned, I built a couple of speakers last year with the Peerless 830656 and the same Vifa tweeter. I'm pretty satisfied with the result, but if I have to redo the work I would chose a smaller box (10L instead of 12L).
You can find the thread here.

Ralf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.