First Subwoofer Project: XXLS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Picture Show

DcibeL said:
Before I get started here I thought I would share some pictures of what I have modelled. Because I want to do this right the first time, please let me know if anything looks hairy.

Vb = 80.33 Litres
Fb = 23.24 Hz
QL = 6.603

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey, My WinISD doesn't look like that, and can't display all this stuff!? :confused: :confused:
Am I missing all the fun parts??? :bawling:

Jennice

Simon5: Yea, the Solen amp says it has a 4dB boost at 25Hz, but it sounds more like 30Hz to me. The only real problem I have with the boost is that it makes kick drums kick harder than they should. I'm going to change it as soon as I get the energy to wobble the beast across the room.

Jennice: WinISD PRO should be able to make those graphs. The program I use is called BassBox. It's not free.

Picture Show

Here's some pictures of my unfinished work. I mounted the amp externally for all the obvious advantages, and then I left the top and bottom open for added ventilation. I should really tidy up the mess of wires...

After a little more time to test the system I did find that the amp gets rather hot. I believe this is mostly due to the way the transistors are mounted on the heatsink. They are mounted vertically so one side of the heatsink is doing far more work then the other. For an optimum natural convection process to uccur, the transistors should be mounted horizontally across the heatsink. I'm not too worried about the tempurature though, it's not burning, just hotter than I expected.

I have the amp hooked to my reciever (NAD T770) using the high level inputs. This of course adds distortion to the system, but there's really nothing I can do about it. The reciever only ouputs a signal to the subwoofer line output when a surround sound signal is present. If I had a full surround sound setup, I could use the EARS (simulated surround) to play 2 channel audio through all speakers, including the subwoofer output.

Re: Picture Show

DcibeL said:
After a little more time to test the system I did find that the amp gets rather hot. I believe this is mostly due to the way the transistors are mounted on the heatsink. They are mounted vertically so one side of the heatsink is doing far more work then the other. For an optimum natural convection process to uccur, the transistors should be mounted horizontally across the heatsink.

Hmm... cramming it all into a corner doesn't help overall convection cooling. :eek:
I wouldn't worry too much about the transistor alignment, as the heat sink (to me) looks thick enough to spead the heat energy fairly well.

Bass box, you say?... maybe I should look into that.
I'm in need to make a 3 way filter, 2nd or 4th order. Is there a program available out there to assist with the math/modelling?

What did your port dimentions hight, width and overall vent length end out as?
Port is 0.75" x 19", and 24.5" long if my memory serves me right. 0.75" width was chosen so I could jam a piece of scrap wood in between it to make sure it was the same width at all locations.

I was quite impressed with the plate amp in that the plate and heatsink is all one piece, which means it is more effictive at heat transfer. I've seen some amps that are 2 separate pieces, and have a big blob of thermal paste in between. This is not very effective. It's actually a good thing that it heats up, it means that the heatsink is woking effectively at moving heat away from the transistors.

I'm in need to make a 3 way filter, 2nd or 4th order. Is there a program available out there to assist with the math/modelling?

Harris Tech, the same company that makes Bassbox, makes a piece of software called X-over that is for designing passive crossovers. It's quite a nice piece of software, as you can import your x-over design into bassbox to look at the frequency responce in box with the crossover applied. You can buy the 2 programs in a combo for a reduced price at Parts Express I believe.

DcibeL said:
Harris Tech, the same company that makes Bassbox, makes a piece of software called X-over that is for designing passive crossovers. It's quite a nice piece of software, as you can import your x-over design into bassbox to look at the frequency responce in box with the crossover applied. You can buy the 2 programs in a combo for a reduced price at Parts Express I believe.

Thanks - I'll look into it :)

(Edit: I came across LSPCAD, but I have no idea if it's any good. Anyone here who knows?)

Jennice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.