First PSU Build help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a little lost.

I bought and soldered a LM3875 chip amp off eBay HERE

I realised I needed a large power supply, so I bought a 300VA 2x25V @ 6A toroidal transformer. THIS ONE

Now here is my problem: written all over the PCB is ac-0-ac / 24-0-24
Which is fantastic, except i only have 3 power terminals. I don't know if you can see in the photos attached as i have a dreadful phone.
IMG_20150825_162940.jpg
IMG_20150825_162948.jpg
IMG_20150825_163008.jpg

Do you think it just want the 0Vs from both supply rails/secondary coils locally grounded?
How should I wire it?

I don't know if this is clear but please try and help!!

on the primary side you need to tie together grey and violet wire and isolat them. blue and Brown is Connected to 230/240V mains.

no don't connect them to anyting. but the connection need to be electically isolated.

ehm. i ment insulated of course :)
In the context of your initial post and the two subsequent clarification posts, isolate and insulate can be read as the same meaning. There is no mistake there.

It's unfortunate that the OP does not understand.
But hopefully he is getting closer to safe mains wiring practice.

Yates,
Look up Mains Bulb Tester, sometimes referred to as dim bulb.

Note Audiosan's primary wiring leaves BROWN and BLUE ready for next connection.
This is the standard UK and Europe, MAIN'S wiring colour code for the last couple of decades.

Last edited:
It looks like a double of 2 single power transformer

Connecting the yellow and black makes it the ground for the Orange and Red
Orange(ACV) and Red (Acv) will be your Voltage wire.

According to your spec and the image as it shows its not connected
Blue and Violet should go to your Main Negative Voltage and Grey and Brown should go the Main AC positive voltage this will give you 2 single separate power AC voltages

You can also make the double single transformer into a single
Connect blue and brown together and it should go to the Main positive and Grey and Violet connect together and it should got to the Main Negative.

be careful

Last edited:
It looks like a double of 2 single power transformer

Connecting the yellow and black makes it the ground for the Orange and Red
Orange(ACV) and Red (Acv) will be your Voltage wire.

According to your spec and the image as it shows its not connected
Blue and Violet should go to your Main Negative Voltage and Grey and Brown should go the Main AC positive voltage this will give you 2 single separate power AC voltages

You can also make the double single transformer into a single
Connect blue and brown together and it should go to the Main positive and Grey and Violet connect together and it should got to the Main Negative.

be careful
NO !!!!!!!
this transformer is a dual 115Vac Primary and is to be wired for 240Vac use in the UK.

DO NOT wire the two Primaries in parallel.
That will almost instantly and permanently damage the transformer.,

NO !!!!!!!
this transformer is a dual 115Vac Primary and is to be wired for 240Vac use in the UK.

DO NOT wire the two Primaries in parallel.
That will almost instantly and permanently damage the transformer.,

Possibly not the transformer (it's just a block of copper wire, over amping would cook it and melt the insulation then it short circuits, over volting MIGHT work fine, pending on insulation used), but certainly the amplifier or the psu board (caps exploding, circuits frying).

230-240V on 115v primary would just mean double voltage out of secondaries. The transformer might work fine, but it's certain death for the stuff connected.

Last edited:
Possibly not the transformer (it's just a block of copper wire, over amping would cook it and melt the insulation then it short circuits, over volting MIGHT work fine, pending on insulation used), but certainly the amplifier or the psu board (caps exploding, circuits frying).

230-240V on 115v primary would just mean double voltage out of secondaries. The transformer might work fine, but it's certain death for the stuff connected.
NO !!!!!!
applying 240Vac to a 115Vac winding will seriously overheat the winding, even with no secondary connections.

Doing that again for the other 115Vac winding will almost instantly damage the primary windings.
DON'T do it !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.