first project, b20's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mightym said:
The problem there is, you can buy a Gawdawful #%&*pot full of screws before you pay for ONE Bessey clamp.

Yeah my cheapness right now has to outweigh my good judgment of everyone's advice. So the screws will be my clamps.

I know it has been a while but I just started to cut up the wood. Summer classes are time consuming in college. I decided not to build the 3 ft^3 boxes though it is simple and will do in the future. Maybe give my sister a pair as a pretty good present. I am only going to build the half changs.

With the help of GM, I am using the rest of the wood for a 4 ft^3 TL sub box for my car. Hopefully if time permits i can finish cutting today or tomorrow and at least start some gluing this weekend. Thank You guys for all your advice.

My sub plans are straightforward and a little boring but for an angled front baffle just for interest. 3 cubic foot box with a port and an ACI SV12 - old faithful needs a new box. I will use the sub with my 165k BIBs. I am still working on a new supertweeter idea too... but am still futzing with the cap and coil. The supertweter should work nicely with the B20. Thanks for asking.

A standstill

I have four cuts left all 13 inches wide but my table saw only can accurately do 12.125 inches since it is such a small one. My circular saw is battery powered and the battery just ran out haha. Once the battery is charged, I will finish up cutting. I guess i will get other things ready while i wait.

One speaker done. One to go. The speakers has maybe one hour on it so no results are valid. Also no stuffing has been added. Pretty decent bass and the treble is better than I thought. I will wait and see if i want to add a tweeter or maybe try a small amount of EQ. I will do some A/B switching between my other speakers to see if I am missing too much top end. The speaker has great excursion. There is the muffled midrange and honking that I've heard so much about. I think I will definitely want to use phase plugs. The benefits of fullrange are there though. I love the way vocals come through. The box is very ugly with glue all over it. I was less than careful since I decided to paint them. I countersunk all the screw holes so I can fill them in when time comes to paint them. Whatever my next project is I will definitely work with something other than mdf. Once I am done college and get some real money I will tackle a ceiling to floor line array. Also get/build some better electronics.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

badman said:

A little historical content I take it? 8, 16, 64 bit processor Nintendo systems :)
don't worry. I have the wii under the coffee table ;)

I never even play them anymore! I will find time to get back into it someday.

GM said:
Shows how interested in gaming I am, I didn't realize any were gaming machines.

GM

Hey don't worry (I know you aren't) you may have noticed the other historical content on the racks like the realistic sta-2600 and realistic 13 band eq.

Ok so I stuffed the box and all the mids and highs are deleted from the port of course. The bass is so much better now. It has been playing all day. Doing some switching between my other speakers and a little something is missing but I may not need a tweeter. I can't really get into anything else untill sunday since i have a test on thursday and a project due saturday night. Maybe i will hookup the tweeter and have it temporarily stuck to the box. I put some twisted polyfil behind the wizzer. genious. I am really happy with this.

too late to edit my last post...

Bass guitar I think is coming out the best. Some of my favorite bands are rage against the machine and red hot chili peppers so i will be in heaven. I figured that full range and rock weren't going to mix as well as they are. I am going to have to build my mom and my sister some speakers now.

Does more excursion/louder playing break them in faster. do they break in at all on low volumes?

Gaming and Hifi

Very different userbases, in most instances, though I've noticed a shift within DIY to a younger userbase than has been traditional, we're getting more young fellers as the appeal of DIY hifi has been very well represented online which tends to drive youthful presence.

I have and enjoy a Wii, mostly the very simple Wii Fit and Wii Bowling. It's something that's easy to pick up, more active than watching television, and appropo for both myself AND my kids- that's a rare conjunction, and a valuable one, because most of the things my 5.55 and 1.875 year old blonde girls enjoy are far too cutesy for a big grouch like me.

Funny thing is, one of the things I miss on the Wii is a lack of a Toslink output, would love to integrate it fully into the HiFi :)

In any case, your speakers look to be coming together nicely, I'm sure you'll enjoy the B20 (though I'm rather surprised people like those tiny neo domes with it so much, such a large change in dispersion character, maybe rolled in at 10k it doesn't matter much, and below it helps flesh out things off-axis)

Enjoy mate!

Re: Gaming and Hifi

badman said:
Very different userbases, in most instances, though I've noticed a shift within DIY to a younger userbase than has been traditional, we're getting more young fellers as the appeal of DIY hifi has been very well represented online which tends to drive youthful presence.

I have been in love with speakers since I was about 2 years old. My dad had some realistics mach IIs and realistic sta 2600. There is video of me bobbing my head to the music slightly off beat and becoming off balance from my big two year old head. It, as you can see, inspired my first setup up with an identical amp and the mach III's which I got because of the horn midrange. Plus my dad got me some free subs when I was about 16 and started in car audio since then. So after many more years of new information and once I stumbled upon this site I figured i was capable of doing something diy home. Nest step will finally buying some reference books and buy mjks sheets. Then I will be in business.

badman said:
In any case, your speakers look to be coming together nicely, I'm sure you'll enjoy the B20 (though I'm rather surprised people like those tiny neo domes with it so much, such a large change in dispersion character, maybe rolled in at 10k it doesn't matter much, and below it helps flesh out things off-axis)

Enjoy mate! [/B]

Yeah I will have to see if i want to actually add the tweeter. If i do it will definitely be front and center so to speak. Shove in right in front of the b20.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.