first pics of the new speaks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the crossover plugin. Warning this is not very professionally done. I got it working for me and never bothered making it pretty. Again, if you have an optimized version of C++ and want to speed up this plugin, please let me know. For instructions on use, refer to the original version of the convolve plugin

John

Attachments

• foo_convolve (2).zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 241
hancock said:
Here is the crossover plugin.

John

Way cool, John. I admit I didn't look too hard, but I didn't think the source for the foobar convolver was dirtributed. Still, your timing is great - I just got a prototype 2 way w/ waveguide-loaded wide-range planar drivers running with my DCX that I was getting ready to move to FIR filters. I'll definately have a look.,as my Emu 1820M is far better than any card I have that I can run with BruteFIR/Linux

I have VS.Net, and if you're willing to send the source, I'd love a copy. Address in my profile should be good.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx for the pics... any from back with drivers installed and of the bass unit (how is it configured?)

hancock said:
I loaded all 800 (or so) CDs onto a Network Attached Storage unit .... no more searching for that damn CD--if you haven't done this, you don't know what you are missing.

I'm just setting up a donated iMac (with iTunes) to do this ... my collection of CDs thou is less than 100 (6k+ vinyl LPs thou)

dave

hancock said:

The tweeter/mid crossover is an analog filter at 1.5kHz. It is an asymmetric filter so that the delay in the lowpass is compensated by moving the midranges forward of the tweeter and everything is pretty much time-aligned--not quite linear phase, but close. Group delay is way less than anything else I've ever seen that doesn't use FIR filters and that is on AND off axis.

The crossover between the horn and the dipoles is a delay-derived linear phase digital crossover with an asymptotic slope of 60dB per octave and crossover frequency of 350Hz--note that besides not introducing phase distortion, this crossover also achieves a high slope without ringing.

I'm also doing inverse filtering on everything to correct magnitude to +/-0.2 dB and phase is absolutely linear. I realize there is considerable debate about whether phase is audible or not. With the DSP I've done some listening with the phase correct and with it screwed up. I don't notice any difference at all on sustained notes, like strings, but for percussive sounds like drums, I really notice a difference.

John

Hi John, if you still check in once and a while, I'm getting back to work on my Lambda Unity's and have a couple of questions. The way I read your crossover setup is that you are either passive or line level between tweeter and mids to create a single "driver" for the FIR step. Then you use steep Fir filters between the horn and the bass units, and for overall response correction. Is that more or less correct?

My plan was to do essentially the same as described in the above paragraph. I think I will go with a DEQX, as I'm guessing that the dedicated processor and software will be easier to learn. The unit has only three channels, and I plan on the horn, a dipole mid-bass, and a sub with pr's. That's four drivers to integrate, and the DEQX has only three channels. I think the unit would be very useful for controlling the sub and room interactions, so if the crossover in the horn can be done nearly perfectly with line level analog crossovers, I'd be set (I plan to start here with a line level version of the passive system that Nick shipped with the horns). Any info you'd be willing to share, I'd love to have.

Sheldon

John,

I hope you are still following this thread.

I'm very thankfull for the convolve modification and project info you posted here.

Are you still running this version or has it been updated since?

I'm in the initial phases of a dipole bass / unity (maybe waveguided highs/separate mids) horn project and this type of XO is very interesting to say the least. It actually seems perfect since I also use a computer for audio playback, and I have plenty of soundcard devices in my posession.

Regards, Pim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.