• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

As i have always been more than a bit skeptical about smd parts, i used to occasion to (briefly) replace the series nfb resistors with 5W Mills and the shunt with some standard metal films. Soundwise this didn't work well at all.
May-be the occasion to revisit your opinion ? SMDs are the standard industry, by now. So, they benefit for the most advanced technology. The reduction in path lengths they allow reduces the parasitic inductances and capacitances. Too, the reduction in size and the way they are tightly melted on the boards can reduce some mechanical vibration problems. As an example, ceramic caps are a lot better in SMDs.
BTW, i don't know what you mean by PRAT, me neither.

About the low medium lack of perfection, i believe an effect of the cap in the feedback path. I'm waiting for L.C. tries and reports about my proposal to get rid of them:
www.esperado.fr - VSSA with Diamond input and DC servo
http://www.esperado.fr/vssa-diamond/dvssa.php

May-be the occasion to revisit your opinion ? SMDs are the standard industry, by now.

Why should industry standards have a bearing on audio? It is the nickel end caps which protect most smd resistors which are the problem. There are a few types which are indeed suited for audio but after some research it became clear that a 800mW rating would be hard to source.

My experiment proves (to me at least) that nickel, or not, the SMD resistors on the FO boards sound much better than the non-inductive ww Mills. Sadly, the limited space made it impossible to try out resistors, proven to be good such as the 5W Shinkoh which i have at hand. Caddock MP930 would have been ideal...

Anyhow, what is on board seems to be plenty good.

LC , can I use 15yf Tantal Cap and is it ok to use a Wire instead of 0R SMD ?

The difference in values is hardly critical, but the specified Vishay part is one of the better sounding tantalum caps... As for the 0R i used an smd part just because i have plenty. A bridge would be fine, but bear in mind there is a track passing under one of the resistors...

Why should industry standards have a bearing on audio?
Because, on my opinion, audio is nothing special in electronic. Distortions witch can occurs in magnetic resistances, as an example, are measurable.
It is not because we don't know how to measure each and every aspects of the way a complex audio signal is reproduced, specially in the dynamic behavior, and that listening is a useful tool, that we have to be snake oil clients.

Last edited:
Are the sound impressions from post #1578 for v1.3 or v1.2?

I don't think i can reliably tell them apart. As one of my amps is still v1.2 it is easy to do an A/B and i may do it out of curiosity, but for me such tests are worthless. If a change in character cannot be heard immediately, without doing specific comparisons, i tend to ignore it. Per example, the change in the feedback resistor was very obvious and did not demand any listening effort.

SMD-s are the last discrete devices we would ever be able to use in DIY, next technology step would be reserved for industry productions only. Majority of today's SMD-s are so small or having so tight pinout layout that are unusable in DIY, still good portion of them very useful and quality parts, enabling short audio paths and low noise designs. So I'm not surprised that SMD resistors proved to be much better in feedback use than other types of resistors, same in other parts of amp's circuit.