• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

265 pages and...

only a hand full of very short responses on the amplifiers sound and no real comparisons to what they might hear in a live venue ...and im speaking only of real music here.... not studio recorded manipulated stuff....live un-amplified choris pipe organ orchestral etc...

I happen to have the very wide band equipment 13-100kc speakers and very wide band analog front end and the media to tell all all of my comparisons and qualifications are met with the real live musical experience

if you would like a real evaluation and a long non audiophile review I would be happy to take my time to do it
send me a pm to make arrangements

Lawrence

I can only tell You that for me everything sounds really good ,Handklapping,Fingersnapping and Footstamping sound real,that`s often not so. Violins, Guitars,Horns .... are very good .
Drums are very good,fast and ....real. .Separation between Instruments and Voices is good too . For me it`s all there .What more can I say ?!
Regards DT

I appreciate

I can only tell You that for me everything sounds really good ,Handklapping,Fingersnapping and Footstamping sound real,that`s often not so. Violins, Guitars,Horns .... are very good .
Drums are very good,fast and ....real. .Separation between Instruments and Voices is good too . For me it`s all there .What more can I say ?!
Regards DT

but what is your reference? ...how is your musical knowledge or IQ?

its great that lots of people like how it sounds but I'm not like most people and most amplifiers are turkeys!

great or good spec's ....are so small in telling the amplifiers tale, that there almost useless except if the amp has gross harmonic distortion like say over .25thd or lots of IM etc etc..then you pass them by

no offence to be put forth... but most peoples systems are mere noise makers funny/strange non musical sound... lots of ringing drivers etc..nothing comes close to what the real stuff sounds like ...IMO this is what I am after.. have been for long time

if you like it fine by me but I would like to give this design some real tests and in return I will write and informative evaluation

Lawrence

its great that lots of people like how it sounds but I'm not like most people and most amplifiers are turkeys!

great or good spec's ....are so small in telling the amplifiers tale, that there almost useless except if the amp has gross harmonic distortion like say over .25thd or lots of IM etc etc..then you pass them by

no offence to be put forth... but most peoples systems are mere noise makers funny/strange non musical sound... lots of ringing drivers etc..nothing comes close to what the real stuff sounds like ...IMO this is what I am after.. have been for long time

if you like it fine by me but I would like to give this design some real tests and in return I will write and informative evaluation

Lawrence

Well I can tell you this is a great amplifier.

If you want to try it for yourself , just order it!
It is so cheap that you should be able to afford it if you have equipment that lives up to its standard.:D

For the record:
I listen mainly to classical music and my reference is how it sounds in the concert hall, although I am painstakingly aware, that it will never be the same... Stereo , you know, will never be able to reproduce correctly what went on in the concert hall.

My speakers are clones of Roger Russels IDS25 .

A couple of other amplifiers in my collection or has been there not so long ago:
Goldmund Telos 350
My-Ref Fremen edition
Pass f--- whatever, i have tried almost all.
Bow Technologies ZZ-1
Fetzilla
6c33 based OTL tube amp
Audio Mirror TFA 3 hybrid Mosfet-tube amp
The Amazing Fet circlotron

Among others these have been through my system and besides that I have heard numerous other during my work (now retired) as High End Audio designer.

I am not quite finished with evaluating this amp, but up until now, it is my candidate for the best!

Keywords are: very natural to, great perspective of depth, very dynamic, and no irritating highs...

Hope this can help you in some way :)
Koldby

You forgot Your IQ :)

For me it doesn`t pretend on the Gear You got or how much it costs ,I can only say trust You Ears and mine are pretty good. I got a Friend and he`s buying expensive Stuff all of the Time and his System sounds like sch....He`s not pleased with it and still searching . He thinks when buying the best(Expensive) it has to sound good. Another Thing is ,I can tell you how much good Stuff(Expensive )I have and You gona judge from that , if I know how Music sounds right ?! Come on.
Regards DT

Lawrence

Come on! Dear Lawrence, ;)

Buy the amps and build like the rest of us, mere mortals :D
This is DIY you know?
The modules are at a nominal price and I am sure you have a suitable power supply lying around...

I have excellent hearing, but far from 100Kcps...closer to 15Kcps by now.
I prefer single source horn speakers, but I also have two way systems (all DIY), with good dynamics. Preservation of dynamic contrasts and instrumental textures are priorities for me.
I am very bad violin player.
I own a respectable collection of old violins, some Italians from XVIIIc, and I sponsor my local youth orchestra, so I have chance to listen to classical music concerts from time to time, first row.
I am also a decent amateur opera singer...
Oh! BTW, my IQ is out of scale... :D

Have fun, build amps, like DestroyerX uses to say...
Cheers,
M.

Last edited:
All good guys

I am going to let more people respond to my post

so everybody understands my equipment is not bought in any store nor is it expensive my ref amplifier is a good Harmon kardon 430 ...nothing can come close to a correctly working slightly modified 430 ...it's a real music maker does not ring or make funny non or Amusical sounds ...this is my challenge
No one takes This stuff seriously but I do

Lawrence

so everybody understands my equipment is not bought in any store nor is it expensive my ref amplifier is a good Harmon kardon 430 ...nothing can come close to a correctly working slightly modified 430 ...it's a real music maker does not ring or make funny non or Amusical sounds ...this is my challenge
No one takes This stuff seriously but I do

You have made it clear that you are not like most people and that your favorite amp is H/K 430... Lazy cat OTOH has gone a long way not to prefer such topology (LTP, quasi BJT)... So what do you expect?

I take this seriously. I might build the H/K 430 (I have made amps of similar topology: NAIM clones, Quad 303, NBIP, etc.). I think I know what you like from a quasi design. But do you take it seriously? Amplifier is rarely the weakest link and I'm fine accepting common amplifier measurements as objective performance as long as it is simple. May be you need to describe your speaker/drivers. See you in your amplifier thread. I wish you can motivate me to build one more quasi amp :D

@Sk8Ter

If you don't like it, then don't buy it, beside what you already like!

Wow please point out where I said I didn't like it?!

The entire reason for my posting IS to evaluate it!!! I have. No idea what it sounds like!!!!! And and neither do you or most other people for that matter do you attend live concerts that have acoustic instruments?! Do you have a musical iq or musical mind!!!?

Let me be the one to give the REAL results

Lawrence

You have made it clear that you are not like most people and that your favorite amp is H/K 430... Lazy cat OTOH has gone a long way not to prefer such topology (LTP, quasi BJT)... So what do you expect?

I take this seriously. I might build the H/K 430 (I have made amps of similar topology: NAIM clones, Quad 303, NBIP, etc.). I think I know what you like from a quasi design. But do you take it seriously? Amplifier is rarely the weakest link and I'm fine accepting common amplifier measurements as objective performance as long as it is simple. May be you need to describe your speaker/drivers. See you in your amplifier thread. I wish you can motivate me to build one more quasi amp :D

If your lucky and get a good correct sounding 430 not much compares my speakers are 7 way very low distortion large Fulton premiere the speakers are better than the Amps including the 430 but it's the best so far

sk8ter my advice would be to contact Lazy Cat by PM or email send him pictures of your system and send him your CV where you describe your musical knowledge and IQ and let him decide if he wants to send you a free amplifier to test.

The other members here have given you their impressions to which I also agree. I don't remember any significant negative criticism of this amplifier throughout the entire thread.

The cost of the power supply and chassis are significantly more than the modules themselves and for LC to send a completed amplifier to you would cost a lot.

I would ask you to not continue to insult all the other members by stating that your opinion is the only one that counts and that we would all benefit from a review by you. Otherwise you will likely derail this thread into a pointless argument over something other than the topic.

sk8ter my advice would be to contact Lazy Cat by PM or email send him pictures of your system and send him your CV where you describe your musical knowledge and IQ and let him decide if he wants to send you a free amplifier to test.

The other members here have given you their impressions to which I also agree. I don't remember any significant negative criticism of this amplifier throughout the entire thread.

The cost of the power supply and chassis are significantly more than the modules themselves and for LC to send a completed amplifier to you would cost a lot.

I would ask you to not continue to insult all the other members by stating that your opinion is the only one that counts and that we would all benefit from a review by you. Otherwise you will likely derail this thread into a pointless argument over something other than the topic.

Really where did i insult anyone personally?

This is exactly whats wrong in the forum people love just about anything esp if they invested some time and money..this is fact!

now there were several i read..( did read the entire post ) that did not like its sound but did not go into any detail as to why or what music they listen too or anything really ...I am offering my services to evaluate something with no strings attached on my end I don't have to give a glowing review but an honest one ...if its end all be all so be it...I will tell all.... the good the bad and the ugly! if it is as such ...

to be honest on only reason i read the entire thread was LC contacted me via pm...not I! and so i will do a very honest long evaluation ...this can only help people make the decision to buy or not....no magazine will give an honest review/evaluation but I will

Lawrence

Thank you Koldby for your opinion, I think it is your first post here, appreciate it a lot. Looking forward to see you more here, to hear how things about an amp and the system will proceed. :worship:

Many thanks also to all others responded to Sk8Ter posts. :wave2:

Well I can tell you this is a great amplifier.

If you want to try it for yourself , just order it!
It is so cheap that you should be able to afford it if you have equipment that lives up to its standard.:D

For the record:
I listen mainly to classical music and my reference is how it sounds in the concert hall, although I am painstakingly aware, that it will never be the same... Stereo , you know, will never be able to reproduce correctly what went on in the concert hall.

My speakers are clones of Roger Russels IDS25 .

A couple of other amplifiers in my collection or has been there not so long ago:
Goldmund Telos 350
My-Ref Fremen edition
Pass f--- whatever, i have tried almost all.
Bow Technologies ZZ-1
Fetzilla
6c33 based OTL tube amp
Audio Mirror TFA 3 hybrid Mosfet-tube amp
The Amazing Fet circlotron

Among others these have been through my system and besides that I have heard numerous other during my work (now retired) as High End Audio designer.

I am not quite finished with evaluating this amp, but up until now, it is my candidate for the best!

Keywords are: very natural to, great perspective of depth, very dynamic, and no irritating highs...

Hope this can help you in some way :)
Koldby