First DIY build - wall mounted speakers for T-amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There was a project by Jacques Candé who I believe is French Canadian some years ago which was a flat, square, wall mounted transmission line which was split into four quadrants. IIRC it used the Fostex FE127.
Perhaps you could try to find him.
He also built a pair of Nagaoka Swans which he was trying to sell, again some years ago.

Edit.

From 2005
http://www.quebecaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4786&

I guess he hangs out here... or did at some stage.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave:)

I have a copy of the doc amongst my audiofile (pun intended) but where exactly in the piles I have no idea. I was going to look for it to scan and post but you saved me.

I was always intrigued by this design and considered building it but could not think of a way to make it unobtrusive.

Andrew

Thanks again folks - have ordered some Mk1 CHR-70s from Stereo Clarity... they are in transit!

Question regarding wall mounting the CHR-70 wallMount 0v99 design. What's the recommended approach?

Would keyhole mounts be the best way to attach to the wall? Or picture hooks and felt tabs like this Zaph Audio design - Zaph|Audio

Or even something to separate the speaker cab - e.g. http://www.curbly.com/chrisjob/posts/5928-how-to-diy-speaker-wall-mountshttp://www.google.ca/search?q=curbl...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Thanks again folks - have ordered some Mk1 CHR-70s from Stereo Clarity... they are in transit!

Question regarding wall mounting the CHR-70 wallMount 0v99 design. What's the recommended approach?

Would keyhole mounts be the best way to attach to the wall? Or picture hooks and felt tabs like this Zaph Audio design - Zaph|Audio

Or even something to separate the speaker cab - e.g. How To: DIY Speaker Wall Mounts. » Curbly | DIY Design Community « Keywords: speaker, Stereo, wiring, Music

If you don't need any directional adjustment, how about a "French" cleat ( mating 45` beveled strips) mounted on the wall and along the top of enclosure back panel? Using 3/4" or so stock should allow room for cable dressing if the input terminals are rear mounted, and a small block on the bottom of enclosure would keep it from rocking.

Hopefully, the desired locations will span at least one wall stud, if not butterfly or Zip-it wall anchors work very well in drywall panels, (NOT so much in older style lath and plaster)

...how about a "French" cleat ( mating 45` beveled strips)

Ingenious! Thanks! Looks like the ideal solution (and no messy routering for keyholes).

RE: directional adjustment, is it just a case of wait and see, or would you expect these to need some toe-in?

I seem to remember reading that full rangers were pickier than multi-ways regarding spacing/placement....

Ingenious! Thanks! Looks like the ideal solution (and no messy routering for keyholes).

RE: directional adjustment, is it just a case of wait and see, or would you expect these to need some toe-in?

I seem to remember reading that full rangers were pickier than multi-ways regarding spacing/placement....

That's very dependent upon the room & location of primary listen window, and of course is a big disadvantage of fixed wall mounted speakers, whether bolted on or installed in wall cavities / soffetts. This can work fine for surrounds in dedicated HT systems with fixed seating positions - but for 2 channel combined TV and audio systems, it can severely limit "optimal" listening positions.

Yes, simple full range systems and small stand mounted "mini-monitors" can have placement criteria that don't easily reconcile with WAF / space considerations.

Commercial alternative

French cleats are an excellent approach, easy and cheap, but if you do need adjustment:
Buy Speaker Bracket - Black (Max 33LBS) - Set of 2 online - Speaker stands and mounts - Mounts and Stands

I have a pair, not in use yet, and they seem well-made. Rated for 33lbs each.

bb

Flat Wall Mounted Fe127e

Hi

I am the Jacques Candé mentioned in this post.
I am not Canadian but French. However, I do not live in France but in the Netherlands.

Back to this project I would like to say
It is very musical and was taken by a good friend for this quality.

Bass output suffers from two deficiencies:

1-The ports are too narrow to allow a decent sound level at 50 Hz equivalent of that of the driver. Today I am convinced that a single port 4 with proper dimensions is better.However, I understood this long after having built up and sold the boxes.

2-The baffle step still exists although the box is leaning against the wall.
Further the Baffle step response is very pronounced and tortured owing to the central configuration of the driver in the box.

Too make it short, I was very wrong when I had this idea and do not advise you to do it.

Note that I am sorry to write this.....

In short the best simple speaker I ever made was this project see attachment:

It has a good smooth response and reasonable dimensions, with a demonstrated WAF.

Have some good time.

Jacques Candé

Attachments

• Fx120 column.pdf
    100.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.