First discrete amp, Need help with NTE 390, 391, 375, 398, and BD140, 139 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
andy_c said:
And it doesn't use or require [omitted keyword] if you know what I'm saying :).

This is an absolutely great option for hospitals, and other mission critical, as well as Chris's hardware selections that seem to cause unintentional operation of the activation system. This is also true of a machine set up to do quality control on CPU's and hard drives. That sort of rapid hardware change will make the system in question go absolutely nuts. However, we should still license the software properly. In my opinion, the decrease of risk is worth the price of the license. And, of course it comes with a beautiful little artsy decal. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Daniel,
I'll have to digest what you are saying there. Thank you.

On licensing, I agree and have licenses for every machine. I even had to buy two for one machine because they decided that license was not valid. What is one to do, bought another bloody license. It was that or buy another computer.

I specifically addressed this issue with Microsoft, and the end result was that they would not budge on the activation. Often, the fix for a failed system was to replace the computer and swap the drive over. Nope. Must buy a new license. Of course, you can't lose the messages and greetings. Those you work very hard to retain for the company involved. The installation of software and the integration communication with the phone system was a pain as well some times. They turned a 1/2 hour fix into at least a day. Our customers who were still on OS/2 machines were advised to stay there. I was even able to get the new, fast machines to run OS/2. There was even a driver to slow down the mother board to allow time for the other cards to wake up and respond. So now, we have software designed for a 386 that runs like the wind on machines clocking over 2 GHz. Amazing. The machines running a Windows OS were always suffering data loss and weird things. The OS/2 boxes just kept on doing their thing, and we still have many out their. Well, I don't work anymore, so no worries there for me.

Hi jaycee,
I use a hardware firewall between the modem and my kingdom. :D Wouldn't have it any other way, no matter what I'm running.

"I've applied all the latest hotfixes"
Thanks, I will try that next time. It always comes down to the same thing. Once they find they can not pin the issue down to any of my drivers, they tell me I have to reload the OS. Thank god it's on it's own partition. I'm actually at a point where I have given up on doing much with these computers. Too many reloads and I'm just plain tired of it. I run test instruments off some of these machines, so I'm down to what I need to get by. At one time, everything was pretty slick here. I also program phone systems remotely and via the network. All that stuff needs to be reinstalled and configured again. We're talking a ton of work.

Hi Andy,
Thank you. I'll look into that. Thank you for the link!

Hi ostripper,
I do thank you, I'll have to read up on that also.

All,
My viewpoint is that this stuff should be a tool to assist in getting things done. Over the last couple years, supporting XP in the house has become a full time occupation and Windows has been everything but a tool. I'm at a point where I don't even want to consider loading another system, and I still have one more that does need a reload. I will attempt to use the image ostripper pointed me to. For my stuff, it's got to wait until I can get some other things done.

I really liked OS/2 because I didn't have to learn too much and it never really caused me any grief. I think the world missed out on a stable opportunity, and I was spoiled. I had at least 8 systems up that I didn't have to touch. Those were good days. Even DOS machines allowed me to get things done. Win95, Win98 and WIN2000 were all time sucks and needed constant attention.

-Chris

Except for being very pleased, I'm feeling a bit daft right now.

Well, I tracked down OStrippers Norton Ghost tip, and got the thing to work.
Its ghost 03 Dos executable file updated via live update of systemworks 03 (back when that worked). Then the dos version is on a bootable usb thumb drive. That version doesn't lock up on startup. Presto changeo! I can back up in one swell foop! :D This doesn't even have to be installed--just boot off that cute little USB thingy (complete with other needed utilities). That's a great little tool.

I didn't have to do anything to make this. It was merely forgotten. I found it sitting in the bottom of the laptop bag (hiding out, really), with the laptop's backup (drivers, etc) on it ready to go. ;) OMG! Too easy.

Hey, Ostripper! Thanks man!!

P.S.
So far, we've got one stubborn machine imaged, and one to go. That's tomorrow. I'm sleepy from all the excitement. Who knew an Intel Atom could back up sustaining 67 megabytes per second "to the wall" while doing compression too? Well, I had no idea. Zoom! The thing is deluded. I thought it was going to explode. That was exciting! :D

Good stuff, huh?? The only OS i've never tried it on is my Ubuntu,
but the DOS ghost "see's" the partition, so it should work
according to the norton manual.

(I make a virtual floppy drive B: in windows with "winimage"
load it with a basic 98 bootdisk + ansi/change (for colors),ghost.exe,
any drivers specific to chipset , and restore.bat. Make bootable
cd/dvd with NERO adding XXX.gho to the disk...done.)

You could EVEN create HDDrestore.bat on the disk and
PLOAD 2:1 xxx.gho/ 1:1 (this system has that) having xxx.gho
on your second partition... :cool:

OS

ostripper said:
Good stuff, huh?? The only OS i've never tried it on is my Ubuntu,
but the DOS ghost "see's" the partition, so it should work
according to the norton manual.

(I make a virtual floppy drive B: in windows with "winimage"
load it with a basic 98 bootdisk + ansi/change (for colors),ghost.exe,
any drivers specific to chipset , and restore.bat. Make bootable
cd/dvd with NERO adding XXX.gho to the disk...done.)

You could EVEN create HDDrestore.bat on the disk and
PLOAD 2:1 xxx.gho/ 1:1 (this system has that) having xxx.gho
on your second partition... :cool:

OS

More to the point. . . (well at least somewhat closer): ;)
And, what sort of really decent sound card is supported? After all, this needs to be reasonably close to "on topic" so what can Linux do for music? Considering that a PC can be a first class source and that it can store a music collection, and that its approximately $90 cheaper (license) with Linux. . . how to music with Linux as nicely as XP? I don't know.

XP is discontinued soon, and we'll be need replacements that don't require re-training, do run briskly on 2 gigabytes of ram, don't require re-purchasing hardware (like Apple), have no purposefully inbuilt hindrance to multimedia work (like Vista) and don't have accidentally flexible user interfaces (like Kubuntu) falling apart during use.

What's up to the job? I'm clueless there. Any ideas?

Thanks man!

P.S.
The "updated version of" Ghost 2003 does work on Ubuntu.

And, what sort of really decent sound card is supported?

I've tried ubuntu on all the SB's up to the audigy 2..flawless.
(don't know about the X-FI) My M-audio has "beta" drivers for
linux, but I haven't tried it.

Don't give up on XP, even through M$ won't support it, the
3rd world already treats it as "open source" so it can be
made to do anything. I have full DX 10 on my XP :D :D
OS

ostripper said:
I've tried ubuntu on all the SB's up to the audigy 2..flawless.
(don't know about the X-FI) My M-audio has "beta" drivers for
linux, but I haven't tried it.
. . .
OS

Do the Linux drivers keep the Audigy (and similar kx-supported models) playback stuck at 48k like creative labs drivers or do the Linux drivers allow playback at 44k native rate for CD music and most MP3 like the KX drivers can do?

P.S.
I'll get the amplifier back on track soon. Running preamp and predrive from regulated power, is of great interest.

Linux that works

Well, I managed to find desktop Linux that works.

Its called Linux Mint.
The effect is like having an expert set up Linux for you, redecorate it so that it makes sense, and pep up the speed.

This is based on Ubuntu; however, there are some minor differences:
Its easy to use
Its stable, even during updating
The menu is readable, and its reliable
Items that you'd like to click on don't fall into oblivion
The speed is not inhumane--Mint is quite fast
It worked with all of the hardware, even the wireless network
Networking was very simple and worked immediately
Really good standardized software is on the start menu (logically marked "Menu"), like Firefox, OOffice--stuff you'd normally use anyway.
The print is not inhumanely small--Mint is an easy read
There is much audio software available at no charge
Files are easy to find, work with, and network.
It works with Via and also the Creative cards that are listed by KX

Test system basics:
A single core processor at 2.4ghz, 1.5gb memory and a 7200RPM hard drive. The 32 bit software was used. This was quite brisk for speed, and it was easier to set up than Windows.

As of Monday, December 15, 2008, its possible to spend $0 for software and have a total hardware cost of $250 or less. This competed head to head with a new Vista system. In a comparison by XP home users (who had never experienced Vista), Linux Mint came out on top as faster, easier to use, and with more features. The only re-training involved shopping for software with Synaptic, $0, rather than shopping where it costs.

Like Apple, support for printers isn't random, so its necessary to check for Debian support, and its fairly easy to see if your existing or prospective printer is listed with Ubuntu. Mint uses Ubuntu's updates and driver collections.

For wireless networking, Zydas, Ralink and Atheros are supported nicely and work easily.

As for X-Fi, drivers are currently in "alpha" development stage, and will probably be available at beta (usable) "soon." At this time, check the hardware list at the KX Drivers site and just "ebay" one of those sound cards. Via also works nicely, so there may be some support for various M-Audio products. However, you may not need an M-audio if you use the soldering iron to parallel 0.47uF Nichicon ES onto the two big obvious output caps on an $8 Via economy card. However, ebaying an Audigy might cost even less.

There's the best I can can do for an answer about: "What Linux is ready?" topic. Mint looks ready. As we discussed earlier, its probably a good idea to keep your data on a separate hard drive. You can also use this to back up the operating system with Norton Ghost (or similar) so that you can "restore" in about 10 minutes.

Well, there's Linux that works. Its new to me--a nice surprise. What do you think of it?

Minty caveat! Must set Synaptic to "Prefer installed version" at the Synaptic preferences menu. This is the only caveat that I could find.

Sure, I blew it up with updates on the first try (got an Ubuntu alpha version in by mistake), but was able to guess, point, and click an automated reinstall, with my data still intact. There was a handy green icon for it, and there was minimal effort involved. Now, with the Synaptic (updates manager) change mentioned above, Mint got right back to business as if a problem had never happened. Amazed.

We debugged Windows as an audio source earlier, but there's been some requests for Linux. Since there's no answer on the "native at 44 or stuck at 48" question for Audigy (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint Linux), I'll do my best to answer that one although I'm a bit lost--not a Linux person. Some help would be appreciated. . . ;)

Thanks guys!

Tubes, LP's, Tapes, and Mp3's frying at Stanford

This 2009 article is a really fascinating read: Sizzling sound of Stanford studies

Its especially good with the comments at the end. I'd like to highlight one area mentioned where the MP3 falls short--the sense of space and/or the size of the presentation. When amplified, it seems that the size of the MP3 soundfield isn't as large or as involving, no matter how far you turn up the amplifier.

It seems that a little trick with in-series resistance will fix this. Surprise! :D

Examples with a resistor:
Mini 50's amp as buffer, like Nick Whetstone
A "padded" midrange or tweeter

Examples without a resistor:
Output transformer, like Susan Parker
Input transformer, (non-shout chip) like Peter Daniel
Acoustic effects plus digital delay, like Seigfried Linkwitz
Speakers in series, like Joe Rasmussen's Elsinore
Bridge amp with output caps, like. . . could I do that?

"Unstuck" with FA1

Okay.
I got it. Must walk before running. So, probably will build the FA1 so the project doesn't get "stuck" on design. Its already designed. ;)

Howabout this amplifier enclosure? Today, I bought it for the project.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Loving the flip top lid! ;)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sure it needs some refinishing, a front panel, and maybe some vents. Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.