Finishing the outside of a sonosub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my sonosub in-room, but unfinished. It uses the Blueprint 1503 in a ~5.3 cubic foot, ported enclosure tuned to 20Hz. Works very well for home theater.

I am needing to finish it, though. It is not very attractive as a large white cylinder with "Easy Pour Concrete Forms" written across it every 6 inches.

I am really thinking I'd like it to be a "piano black" finish, but have no idea what I should buy to create this. I've seen a couple of DIY subs with this finish, but never seen what they used for it. Bear in mind, I'll be painting a cardboard tube with plywood endcaps.

I was also considering that black plastic truck bed-liner spray you can find at automotive stores... but I'd prefer the glossy black any day. Not sure if it'll look as good on a cylinder, but I love it on a cube/rectangular speakers.

Thanks for any suggestions

We painted one and it worked out pretty well actually. I didn't see any problems with it.

When I get around to mine, I can't decide whether ot be ugly and staple green shag carpet to it, or to paint it and coat with varnish or lacquer to look real shiny. I certainly think I'll move away form the ugly carpet idea, that was just a joke.

COME ON! ugly rules and you know it, i wanna put like faux fur on mine, and ive got these carabou horns, i can tip it on its side, screw the horns on,. Its funny cause if the port is where the bum should be....and all this air is coming out of it...*snigger*

Partic sun made a waterheater, and then made different color strips going across it horizontally, then stuck a BIG ribbon on it that said "bassmaker!"

I think we need more creative subwoofers out there. Maybe one of you who is so unlucky to have a strict wife can write my wife is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wonderful on the side, something like that.

Now that ive wasted all of your time with my teenage antics, i will summarise with saying "put that down as one vote for the green fur"

needtubes said:
I am really thinking I'd like it to be a "piano black" finish, but have no idea what I should buy to create this. I've seen a couple of DIY subs with this finish, but never seen what they used for it. Bear in mind, I'll be painting a cardboard tube with plywood endcaps.

Well im not sure how they do the piano's but this is how i would do it.

Go down to lowes or Home depot or w/e and get either some very thin plywood or some of the artificial cork board that bends so easy.

I reccomend sorking the plywood before forming and perhaps a spritz of water on the cork board. form it around the tube, get some straps like you strap stuff down with in the back of a pickup and strap it up tight. at least one on each and and one in the middle. Let it dry over night or blow dry it.

Now that it is dry glue it on. Wood glue would work buti reccomend epoxy. after the glue has dried sand the seam smooth then used either a wood filler or some sort of automtotive stick-to-anything filler to smooth any imperfections out. sand untill its baby butt's smooth.

Next get some dark grey primer. Wipe it with tack cloth, do a coat of primer and sand it, wiper it with tack cloth, then do another and sand it. then wipe agian with tack cloth.

Get some Jet black automotive (acrylic) paint and do 3 coats of that, sand a little inbetween each coat and wipe with tack cloth between each coat.

Now you should have a very black tube, but its not glossy. get some automtovive (acrylic) clear coat and sand that black finish with high grit paper untill its very very smooth, patching any place that needs so if you sand through. once you are satisfied with your color wipe it down with tack cloth then shoot a coat of clear. 3-4very light coats instead of 1-2 heavy ones. sand any cat eyes or runs you get with 300-500 grit paper. wet sand if nesisary to get cat eyes out. your last coat should be your best. wet sand with 600 then 800 grit and buff it out.

Wax if nessisary

you now have black and glossy finish.

Materials:
-Cork Board
-Bondo Body Filler (or somthing similar)
-Tack Cloth
-Spray gun (a cheap one will do. its not like it has to be automotive beautiful unless that is what you want)
-Paint
-Clear coat
-Sand paper rangeing from 200-800 grit wet or dry.

Doesn't sonotube have a waxy coating on it as a release agent for the formed concrete? If so, the adhesive will have to be chosen very carefully.

If not, and you do the laminate layer method, you can probably use 3M Super 99 spray adhesive... easy to apply, effectively no curing time needed, and very strong. The readily available Super 77 will probably also work but it is not a very good permanent adhesive.

Why not laminate sound diffuser foam (egg crate) to the outside? It might be ugly but it would minimize radiated sound from the sides. protect it during a fall and prevent it from rolling around.

:)ensen.

One technique for tubes is to glue outside corner molding to the surface as depicted below.

I did this once and it looked great after staining and clear coating.

Attachments

• ocm.gif
    ocm.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 318
Some of these suggestions sound bizarre....start with the easiest to build structure and spend an eternity finishing it :confused:

What *I* would do...(1) go with the liner spray (2) if you still insist on gloss -> use multiple coats of drywall joint compound (mud) in a sequence like this: mud, rough sand, primer, fine sand....repeat. Basically, the mud will stick to anything, is easy to sand, won't wet the cardboard enough to cause other problems, and will sand to a smooth surface, and it is the smoothness that is the real challenge to making a piano black finish. Remember that you must maintain a thin overall finish thickness because the mud is soft and will ding easily otherwise.

Originally posted by purplepeople Not a stump... a dowel.
Man I'd like to see the timber that dowel is holding together

"Presenting the.... Bose Wave Stump! For truly natural sound."[/B]

A totaly organic experience.

Wait, isn't there a guy who makes speakers from them ugly, inedible squash?

Oh my Gourd.

I'm not sure a sonotube is supposed to look like a big slice of telephone pole. Just my thoughts, no offense.

Cal

Hmm... the carpet thing doesn't look too bad. Maybe I can find some cheap fabric at Wal-Mart or something. I don't really feel like taking the whole thing apart again to take it outside to paint (the driver weighs a ton, the tube is too tall, and the port doesn't allow it to be set on its top... so things don't work out very easily).

I think I'll save the gloss-black for my next sub project (hopefully a cube if I can improve my carpentry skills).

Oh, I did have a somewhat interesting idea... Cedar shingles, all tacked on the outside. I get the feeling they'd rattle off, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.