Finished mini speaker with TB W4-1337SD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...If you are thinking of a dipole as a surround speaker, forget it. They are an HT artifact worse than the sideways MTM for centre.

Seems like a good idea to me - say your listening space doesn't allow you to place the rear/surround speakers a decent distance away, the polar pattern placing the lobes 90 degrees directly off axis from the listener seems perfect for giving one a vague sense of sounds coming from somewhere behind/to the side without annoying pinpoint localization of the source right at the speaker?

I've never liked the double satellite speakers either but what exactly do you mean by "sideways MTM centre", Dave?

The (now classic) mid-tweet-mid format had its origins with the D'Appolito speaker arrangement which improved dispersion and created a pseudo line source with a vertical array of drivers. People who never understood what the hell was going on with the things "intuitively" "knew" that you get better dispersion by placing the thing horizontally. Thus ruining the dispersion which isn't all that great in that plane and launching a thousand really mediocre center channels.

Seems like a good idea to me - say your listening space doesn't allow you to place the rear/surround speakers a decent distance away, the polar pattern placing the lobes 90 degrees directly off axis from the listener seems perfect for giving one a vague sense of sounds coming from somewhere behind/to the side without annoying pinpoint localization of the source right at the speaker?

That's how I'm using them. They do a pretty good job.

Try the scene in the Dark Knight where they're in the police van, and a machine gun rakes across it: pans right around the surround speakers.

The surround speakers are pretty much next to the sofa, one driver firing toward the sofa, one forwards. There's a decent impression of the gunfire passing around you: even if there is still a gap between each surround channel, it's far better than just a single one.

Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The (now classic) mid-tweet-mid format had its origins with the D'Appolito

Joe popularized the format, but it was not the origin. I built an MTM TL that predates his paper by 8 years and a number of my clients built MTMs with Kef B200/T27, B110/T27 when i was selling those kits in the late 70s, and i doubt i was the 1st.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.