Find Wavefront Shape @ Compression driver exit??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Seeing Sound"

Thanks Earl for bringing up "Seeing Sound". I came across the book in the Tektronix library many years ago. If I remember correctly, the method of photography used a microphone and neon bulb mounted on a pivoted boom. The microphone feed an amplifier that drove the neon bulb. Bulb brightness was proportional to sound level at the microphone. The boom was mounted on a track and was swung vertically in front of the speaker under test. The camera was positioned to the side of the speaker and boom. The boom was moved away from the speaker slowly while swinging vertically while the shutter of the camera was open. This created photos that showed the sound intensity with respect to vertical angle and distance from the speaker.

They had lots of neat photos of different driver combos including some photos of drivers with different variations of acoustic lenses set in front of the drivers.

Gary , your memory is very good.
- You've fairly described the essential mechanics of the process employed .
- As it turned out, I bought a copy of the book ( at the end of the link I posted above ). I didn't pay much for it and I some other copies are now up into the rarified category .

Too bad the current corporate environment led to the demise of the library. There were many books in there that were real gems.

I'm hoping you'll see the irony in this turn of events ;

- The book I bought, came from the Tektronix Library in Beaverton. The libraries card pocket is still intact within the front cover .
- This book shipped to me via Powell's Books of your home town / Portland, OR .
- It seems they received this book on Mar 11 2009 ( according to paper-work sent along with the book ) .
- Perhaps they also have some of the other gems that you remember .

>< cheers :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: "Seeing Sound"

EarlK said:
As it turned out, I bought a copy of the book
Your lucky! I've tried to buy this book and others by Winston Kock for years - only to have my orders never ship, or get cancelled or back ordered. Even went to Powells and could not find it!

I was keen to build a similar rig with a computer interface.

Time to find the book again - wish me luck. :xeye:

"Seeing Sound"

Time to find the book again - wish me luck.

Okay, I wish you luck . :D

- Someone else has bought the next cheapest book ( that was in the cue a few weeks ago ).
- I wonder who that was .

- FWIW, this book ( notebook really ), at the current high prices displayed at Amazon ( ie; $ 165.00 ) isn't worth what's being asked (IMHO) .

- As the author notes in the preface ( I'm paraphrasing here ), he wrote the book to wet the appetites ( & fire the imigination ) of others ( grad students I think ? ) about what might be accomplished when one can "see sound". To that end he offers up many useful examples.
- It's not really a "how to manual with blue-prints" for those needing spoon-feeding to reconstruct his ( or others ) test-methods .

I was keen to build a similar rig with a computer interface.

- That would be a cool idea. I'd suggest that you look to see if you can ( adapt ) some of the ( amateur ) astronomy software that's available for purchase.
- It's ( obviously ) highly accurate since it offers reverse mapping of the skies ( after being referenced to the north star , etc. ) . The fact that the software interface "speaks" to motors is a huge plus. You'd need to add another axis ( Z ) of movement I believe .

- In case you don't know ( or it wasn't clear ) the authors' method for seeing sound is dead simple ( though of course the devils' in the details ).
- Essentially one photographs bright ( neon ) light with a time-lapse camera / as a test microphone is passed through the many pressure points of a sound wave. A neon bulb is used ( incandescent is too slow in it's reaction time ).
- The light intensity of the bulb is determined by voltage that's been amplified from that the sampling microphone ( & it's millivolts ).
- The bulb is attached beside the mic capsule /on the same boom arm .
- The size of the bulb & mic capsule are small ( I assume there's the need to minimize their size so that they're invisible to the test frequency .

- That's about it / "pm" me for more details if necessary over at Lansing Heritage ( after I've read the book / I'll need to know your "nom de plume" so your message actually gets through / since I restrict pm access ) .

>< cheers :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Earl. I wasn't ready to pay $165 for it - and you just confirmed it isn't worth that.

From the photos I've seen publshed it all does seem dead simple - not much to it. Since at one time I was doing hi-res scans of fine art, the "Seeing Sound" photos caught my attention. Sound scanning. Dead simple but great results. I love the telephone handset image.

No need to used film in this century, tho it would be the easiest method. Pulling the rasters into software and mapping them there would certainly be the way to go. I had not thought about the astronomy software - thanks so much for the tip!

panomaniac said:

No need to used film in this century ...

To me thats the point. Mapping sound comparable to the photographic technique would be simple these days using a scanning microphone, or why not look into acoustic holography! A simple array of mics in two planes can yield a map of anything that you can think of that goes through both planes. The holography can yield incredible resolutions. The Navy has a very big underwater facility for this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.