Finally finished my DIY TT Pix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why not make it different from the 'norm', there was an 'Intelligent' counter weight, can't remember who made it, Roksan I think, essentially it was a low slung weight so the mass was in the same plane as the record/stylus interface, just a thought seeing as you are making one anyway.

Just another thought Jim: The Infinity Black Widow was one of the highest compliance arms ever made and that greatly limits the carts that can be used. I don't think anyone made an MC cart that was light enough from that arm. SO. I am hoping with the added length and weight out at the end, that I can use an MC cart.

I'll post results soon.

Why not make it different from the 'norm', there was an 'Intelligent' counter weight, can't remember who made it, Roksan I think, essentially it was a low slung weight so the mass was in the same plane as the record/stylus interface, just a thought seeing as you are making one anyway.

Yes, it is a good idea to have the CoG of the counterweight at the same level (or damn close) to the record surface.

Most of the "upgrade" counterweights for the Rega arm (most upgraded arm out there) are 'low slung' such as Michell's TechnoWeight...

Just another thought Jim: The Infinity Black Widow was one of the highest compliance arms ever made and that greatly limits the carts that can be used. I don't think anyone made an MC cart that was light enough from that arm. SO. I am hoping with the added length and weight out at the end, that I can use an MC cart.

I'll post results soon.

Carbon is stiff; however as the length (of anything) is increased, the flexibility (compliance) also increases. You replaced the arm with stiffer material; however you may have the same net compliance when you are done...

Carbon is stiff; however as the length (of anything) is increased, the flexibility (compliance) also increases. You replaced the arm with stiffer material; however you may have the same net compliance when you are done...

This is fairly thick wall tubing and the 10" piece I have laying about does not deflect much when trying to bend it. Time will tell.

If you can, a rattle can foam fill of the arm tube will enhance stiffness. But otherwise for every doubling or arm tube length you need to add a 1/3 to the diameter of the arm tube to keep stiffness the same.

Just looking at it I'd say you need 15mm tubing at least to be as stiff as a 9" arm of the diameter you use now.

I thought about that, but ended up swabbing the inside of the tube with rubber cement. I know this is not going to make it any stiffer, but it sure is dead sounding.

DJN, carbon has pretty good self damping, adding anything to improve that can't hurt other than for the mass it adds. All other things being equal, larger bore thinner walled tube is better. Just stay under the critical 50:1 coke can ratio for diameter to sidewall thickness.

But having a heavy-ish headshell assembly will be causing resonance at some frequency.

Looking good though,.,

I don't know the exact wall thickness but the tube is only 6mm. This is my first TT so I am really on a steep learning curve here. I really tried to make the headshell as light as possible and still look good. This one thing I can do if it is just too heave is to cut off everything from where the cart screw holds on the cart forward. But at this point, I just want to get it up and running.

I was just out in the garage and found another aluminum bolt and still have a couple lengths of CF tube. The tube fits onto the Black Widow hub buy just a VERY tight slip fit, so I thought that today I would make up another headshell and tube WITHOUT all the fancy and get the weight down to absolutely nothing. That way I can swap the headshell and tube assembly out if needed. Since I am not going fancy, it should only take me an hour or so.

Yes it is. One of the many revisions since I started the process...:rolleyes:

It allows me to adjust the azimuth of the arm. I will do an initial set up on a surface plate, and then file in a witness mark. Then I can do the mono record/inverted channel trick to check it on a playing record for finer accuracy, and if I screw it up, I can go back to my original witness mark!.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.