Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Well, I have hit a bit of a stumbling block. My DAC shows spdif receiver is ok, but does not get PLL reclock when I hit play so no music for me.

Spdif output looks to be right at 4 vpp, and this is about 1/2 volt less than what my Marantz CDP is putting out on its Dout. One word about this. The pad lifted when I was trying to solder to Dout, so I have followed Peter's example and connected directly to pin 29. I'm still taking ground from the board next to Dout.

I have confirmed 5v on Vdd and what looks to be 1.6vpp on Xin. I'm not able to confirm 16.9 Mhz clock but there is a clock. It is the CSA309 crystal so I'm probably just not scoping it correctly.

I do have a stock 31 transport but I thought I'd try to debug this first before I hook up that stock unit and start from scratch.

Any ideas?!? :confused:

At one moment it just start reading discs...Really don't know what happened. :smash: .
BTW i replaced R3 with some 10uf rybicon i found.
Overall ,i found it sounds crappy with stock DAC comparing to my sony x222es which is nothing special.However ,i have listen just a few songs so impressions could change.
I wonder if others had same experience ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
chakija said:
At one moment it just start reading discs...Really don't know what happened. :smash: .
BTW i replaced R3 with some 10uf rybicon i found.
Overall ,i found it sounds crappy with stock DAC comparing to my sony x222es which is nothing special.However ,i have listen just a few songs so impressions could change.
I wonder if others had same experience ?

Mine is a bit different being based on an RCEZ32, but the stock dac is not too great in this one either. The point really is that this thing makes an awesome transport, and the digiphobe contingent in my neck of the woods actually tend to agree..

Erik van Voorst said:

Yes I am busy to perfect it with some sort of lock...(eg. pin in hole...so no power at all on the spindle) but I want to wait a while before I start carving in the plug....it needs furthermore experimenting....

:D

Hiii Erik

will you teach us about this ?
who knows my shigaclone will be like TLO someday :djinn:

audio1st said:
Hi Richard, don't waste the the BG's for the output. it will never compete with a separate DAC.
The 10uF Panasonic's are small enough in size to fit on the board so use these. You could always use off-board Poly's to get the best out of the on-board DAC if this is the way you wish to go.

The LED is a standard 5mm type..

Dear everybody

What happen if we change those BGN 4.7 uf with BGN 10uf 50v
They are the same size as little capacitor, will change freq ?

brgds said:
Guys, dont waste your time by listening the clone with cheap DACs, its worth the best one you can afford!

I didnt have any money now
Im Broke :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Attachments

• tlo.gif
    tlo.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,306
Peter Daniel said:
Unless you connect LED, the voltage will not change. Start with 10k and then adjust for desired brightness, lowering or increasing the series resistance.

Thanks Peter...nice blue LED;)

I have soldered all of the Black gates on board and have changed the analogue output coupling caps for two Panasonic FC 10uf.

Its 11.40pm and its time for bed. I will have a go at changing the crystal tomorrow.

Considering its running on the internal DAC and its only just started burning in it sounds pretty good.

I think an external DAC is next;)

Richard

Being stubborn I was now able to choose out of different platforms and combination with different pucks...

Before listening "in place"...

YESSSSS ...ZERO TOLERANCE...I received that with one out of four platforms from Singapore in combination with a puck from Utrecht (Void/Wilco/Remco)..yeh even the screw on pucks were diffrent and introduced a wobble from slight to unacceptable..

So Utrecht-Singapore-The Hague took care of getting me finally what I wanted...a 100 percent job

Especially with the blue light on a transparant puck...it is dead easy to see any deviation....none..happy me !!!!
The other puck/platforms had deviation from slightly towards unacceptable

Results exactly what Peter experienced....the sound comes far more out of the left and right speaker...very good stage...and more...uhhh....stressfree

This is a no brainer ...the magnet is a goner....enter the Delrin/Acryl combo...

Attachments

• blueturn.jpg
    blueturn.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,547
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erik van Voorst said:

Teaching is a big word but I will keep posting (only) my winning pics....I will not post all my "mistakes" with their story afraid of becoming boring in Peter's topic...

:snail:

I'm with Peter on this one Erik, you should definitely post your successes and failures as well. I made some horrible and costly mistakes - all shared here so that others could hopefully learn from my misfortune or in some cases shear stupidity.. :devilr:

Okay then...:ill:

In order to get a right platform I was proud to remove a standard platform with a selfmade pulley...however I did not observe the spindle after doing so and started pressing a beautiful
"The Hague made" new acryl platform on it ...

I came to the conclusion that the platform was wrong but what really was the case was that there was still some hardened glue left from the original situation...which gave it a very slight wobble...

And also the amount of spindles that I wrecked before this story.....an ever so slight pressure and......:headshot: