Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

okapi said:
for those who have offered to pay for a clamp, would any of you consider paying $50 USD for one? This seems like a lot for piece of plastic but it does not come close to covering my time investment, shop time, or materials. My feeling is that most people would find this price outrageous, that is why i was just going to do a limited run of 3 or 4 and give one or two away for free.

The clamp is certainly worth it and I will gladly pay that amount.

JC Fardo said:
Refer to your post #148. Can pins 1 and 9 to 16 from CN701 left open to discard display but keep operation with remote

Although I didn't try it, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

I have a question about the cd clamp. Are you doing this all in 1 setup? I ask because to get the best results you are going to need to do the bore and the cd mounting surface in the same setup. I don't necessarily want to jump into this and have to label and address 100 envelopes, but I work in a shop with an NC lathe. I could likely get them run at cost. Let us know what that shop quotes and I will try and pry a quote out of our machinist.

Hi,
I try to follow Okapi PDF recipe. There are no brand for the caps on the transport board. What do you use. Here is my shopping list, tell me what you think (it is not ordered now, so please feel free to comment).

Main transport
E1 10uF BG N 50V pcX
E2 33uF BG N 16V pcX
E3 4.7uF BG PK 50V pcX
E4 4.7uF BG PK 50V pcX
E5 47uF BG N 50V pcX
E6 ???
E7 Citizen 300-8441 crystal from DK 300-8441-ND
A1 Riken 75R pcX
A2 caddock mk132 pcX

I don't know what to do with the E6, help...

PSUPSU
LM7808CT-ND digikey
PSU cap bg std 1000/25 pcX
PSU cap bg fk 2200/35 pcX
MSR860G digikey
HM548-ND digikey transfo

Do I miss something?

Thanks

let's stop taking orders for the clamp in this thread.

as demand has already outpaced my ability to produce them in a reasonable time i am going to definitely get a quote from the machine shop (they have a CNC lathe). once i hear back from them (could take more than a week) i will start a thread in the group buy section.

i clearly underestimated the demand for the clamp. i will do my best to accommodate everyone but like most of you this is only a hobby for me and as such my time is limited. i will post updates in this thread as relevant info becomes available.

there will still be a lucky few who get a hand made clamp. i will contact these individuals by email in the next couple of weeks.

thank you for all the interest.

I am interested in trying the internal dac in this thing. The connector orientation seems different on the motor board to that on the supply board.

Would I be right in assuming that the orientation of the wires on the motor board is far left moving right, +8v, Gnd,mute, R-ch (phono out), signal gnd, L-ch (phono out)

What I can't understand is why the R-Ch out is an orange wire.

I attach pics of both boards. I have got the power in where the inductor used to be (as per Okapi's PDF) It seems that an additional 8v is required (to power the analogue side of the chip) and I don't want to blow the thing up

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/saxonsex/Shiga1.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/saxonsex/Shiga2.jpg