Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

No...I probably end up buying myself..:eek:

Anyway I experiment further with my PiTbull Reference...on a cd transport testboard that is...

The famous gear train slack.

I did tests and to me it seems 9 grams will do the trick...

When you turn the white wormwheel counterclockwise it takes about 1mm before you experience the resistance...it takes 9 grams (or a bit less) before you see a pulling force pulling clockwise the 1 mm back....voila you have your personal "counterweight"

If you think ...what the hell....try installing it and whilst playing lift the weight and listen what happens to your music...:D
(You can also see the wormwheels ever so slightly moving again)

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Somebody out there who is still testing experimenting.......???

Howabout a Dexa Regulator and a 220 uF blackgate in front and a good 1 uf cap after instead of the classical drawing of the psu flying here around...???

I am curious what the results would be...either on chip or on motors...

uwb2012-1.jpg

Looking forward to your results. I was contemplating on using salas shunt on motor, digital, and clock. Maybe this will be an easier route.

Color graphs for Jack Walton's regulator article in linear audio Vol 4

Linear Audio Volume 4 has a long-awaited article by Jack Walton, comparing a large number of low power supply regulators. Comparison includes measurements and controlled listening tests by the New Jersey Audio Club.

The article has a several rather busy graphs with curves in various shades of grey. The readability could be better, so I regenerated those graphs in color and posted them here on-line.

Fig 5, positive regulators Line Rejection: http://www.linearaudio.net/images/letters.pdf/V4%20JW%20F5.pdf
Fig 6, negative regulators Line Rejection: http://www.linearaudio.net/images/letters.pdf/V4%20JW%20F6.pdf
Fig 7, positive regulators Output Noise: http://www.linearaudio.net/images/letters.pdf/V4%20JW%20F7.pdf
Fig 8, positive regulators Output Impedance: http://www.linearaudio.net/images/letters.pdf/V4%20JW%20F8.pdf
Fig 9, negative regulator Output Impedance: http://www.linearaudio.net/images/letters.pdf/V4%20JW%20F9.pdf

Regards,
Rudy
copy and paste from linear audio website ;)

Attachments

• Super regulator.jpg
    Super regulator.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 122
Somebody out there who is still testing experimenting.......???

Howabout a Dexa Regulator and a 220 uF blackgate in front and a good 1 uf cap after instead of the classical drawing of the psu flying here around...???

I am curious what the results would be...either on chip or on motors...

uwb2012-1.jpg

Looking forward to your results. I was contemplating on using salas shunt on motor, digital, and clock. Maybe this will be an easier route.

I replaced the Lpad with 50-75 pi-pad. I used caddock on shunt and shinkoh on series. So far so good. What ive noticed is that the sound is much more natural and coherent compared to the Lpad. It seems that vocals are much more clearer. I like the improvement.

Waiting for jarek to be able to get back on making resistors. I would like to try his flagship resistors for the pi pad.

Hi there!

I see this thread is still going strong, so I though I'd share a couple of things here... I wrote about my experiments a couple of years ago (you can read it here if you like
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/160373-cd-transport-19.html#post2764183).

The c916 cap value has changed though. After extensive listening/testing, I've settled for 220uf/100V Elna Cerafine. A 47uf cap just sucks in comparison and the added voltage, although not technically needed, does sound clearly better. And the cap would be the Cerafine, not the Simlic II. With the Cerafine 220uF/100V the sound transformed from good to wonderful.

Secondly: Make that transformer 120VA (I have Hammond 120VA / 266P24) - much better bass slam and soundstaging that the 96VA. Also tried a 120VA toroidal. The iron core Hammond transformer was quite a bit better.

Two things you guys should definately try. But of course all these findings are valid in my system, my power cords, cables etc, YMMV.

My 2 cents. :p

Cheers!
Jugi

Currently a Caddock MK132 in Shunt and a TX2575 Texas Components in series.
But cannot compare well because the Shiga mounted in a closet so cannot switch fast.
My first impression with the Allen Bradley in series sounds a little warmer.
But a new Vicol Shiga order have done and go build everything again this winter.

To be continued …

Regards,
Rudy

Rudy,

Jarek mentioned that the vishays in series sucks the dynamics out of the music. Can you confirm this? I mainly stayed away from the vishay due to this but i have not tried it.

Regards,

tubo

I can not currently well testing, but have briefly looked up and Erik has also tested this resistance.

Look here #6904 : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...rdable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-139.html

Must say this Vishay sounds pretty good as series resistance.
As I've mentioned earlier I cannot quickly switch between these resistors, to give a clear and honest advice.

Regards,
Rudy

I recently fried a chip in the progress of modification...seen that ..done that..we have all been there...:eek:

Anyway decided all my experience should go into the new PiTbull board and it should be modulair..

This is what I came up with...specced with non polair Blackgate in super E config and Audionote silver wired throughout...goldplated plugs etc etc

So know it is easy to have a quick listen on my test-cd-transport-board....

index.php

Question for the technical brains and clockbelievers (not or) among us.

How important is a decent clock in a DAC when you have a decent clock in your transport...is it so that the DAC clock is only operative when a connection is made after which it is shut down..also the master slave bit is a bit difficult for me to get right.....links are also welcome.....;)

Is the Daddy of all Caps indeed the right choice for implementation on the strange C906 position (Laser tracking System) 0,01 uF

uhhhhh....YESSSSSSSS Full in Disbelieve :eek:

First the candidates back on the cd-transport-test-board.
This time only three candidates...looser-winner- challenger and also 3 pair of ears at the session.

1. The Original 0.01uF elco
2. The Duelund Alexander
3. The Duelund Cast.

Again the difference between the Original and the Alexander was evident...less raw, more music..so the same notes...

Than high expectations will the Cast top this a little bit....squeeze some extras out of the situation......well not exactly a little bit .....more like implementing a super clock....one of the listeners shouted "no brainer"....

In the end you try to figure out the logic in this affaire.....
First you come to the conclusion that the technical difference between an elco and cap can be responsible for a difference ...but a difference between caps.......well I do not care actually maybe less correction of the laser who knows..
All I say is yessss....and will leave it there......

Cheers for the plug-in possibilities and my guts to buy it in the first place...

Sound notes for the Duelund Cast:
More timbre (wood sounds wonderful)
Highs have more support and body
More quietness and details

Indeed a No Brainer...............for the one who wants to go one leap

further..........:cool:

index.php

index.php