Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Rudy, my apologies. I meant to point you to the Shiga User Manual Word doc. Here is one of the recommended heatsinks

ICK SMD F 17 SA - FISCHER ELEKTRONIK - HEAT SINK, FOR SMD, 42°C/W | Farnell România

Note under "Mounting Type" it indicates "Adhesive". When you get the heatsink it will have a layer of protective tape on the underside. When you peel of that tape there will be a sticky surface exposed. Just line up the heatsink over U2 and press it on. It will stick.

I would show you a picture of my own PCB, but since those Fischer heatsinks are not easily available in the USA I am waiting for a substitute to arrive. :)

Thanks, I didn't know there was this heatsink paste.
I have just ordered 4;)

Thanks, I didn't know there was this heatsink paste.
I have just ordered 4;)

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• heatsink with paste.jpg
    heatsink with paste.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Have we talked about this yet - is there a way to dim the display like after x seconds, so that it doesn't run at full brightness all the time? I was thinking that - especially during burn in of a newly built Shiga - it might be nice to keep the display from staying lit for many continuous hours.

For this is needed an adjacent circuit.
Backlight is made with two white led diodes. These will survive a long time. No need to worry. :)

Regards,
Tibi

For this is needed an adjacent circuit.
Backlight is made with two white led diodes. These will survive a long time. No need to worry. :)

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,

Is the white diodes easy to change? I like to try other colors like green or blue.

As for the new puck, the bottom plate is somewhat bigger then the previous and much more stable. Most of my cd-roms can be read without problem, even those few that weren't able to play.

Once extra thing is when I do track forward or backward, the laser servo keep producing some squeaking noise until it locks on to the new track, is there anyway I can eliminate those nose?

Thanks

Hi Tibi,

Is the white diodes easy to change? I like to try other colors like green or blue.

As for the new puck, the bottom plate is somewhat bigger then the previous and much more stable. Most of my cd-roms can be read without problem, even those few that weren't able to play.

Once extra thing is when I do track forward or backward, the laser servo keep producing some squeaking noise until it locks on to the new track, is there anyway I can eliminate those nose?

Thanks

Backlight diodes are SMD and can be replaced. You need to lift the LCD glass and desolder the backlight. Than, with something sharp, take apart the side with LED diodes. Change diodes and glue back.

The noise is made by optical lens while tracking and focusing and is mainly related to disk quality. Look for Type A photocyanide disks (Taiyo Yuden).

Regards,
Tibi

Backlight diodes are SMD and can be replaced. You need to lift the LCD glass and desolder the backlight. Than, with something sharp, take apart the side with LED diodes. Change diodes and glue back.

The noise is made by optical lens while tracking and focusing and is mainly related to disk quality. Look for Type A photocyanide disks (Taiyo Yuden).

Regards,
Tibi

I am using only Taiyo Yuden disk. It is absolute quite when playing, only when seeking make those noise.

Best regards

Last edited:
If you have a scope, write a disk with my test cd vicol audio : support, play trak 13 in loop and have a look on LA9242M pin 41. Post a picture here.

Regards,
Tibi

I'm glad you suggested this, Tibi. I am having similar issues, and I also use only T-Y blank CDs. In fact, on some of these CDs if I skip tracks it will sometimes not lock on to the new track at all. The head will just keep making noises like it's trying to find the start of track. And then sometimes when it does start I will hear a lot of dropping until it smooths out. Discs like this play and seek perfectly on any other player I've used or tried.

I have a scope. Where should I ground the probe when looking at this signal on pin 41?

Hmm, the LA9242M is on the underside of the PCB, yes? If so, is there a point on the topside of the board where i can access this signal? It would be tricky to flip the board over and do this.

If you have a scope, write a disk with my test cd vicol audio : support, play trak 13 in loop and have a look on LA9242M pin 41. Post a picture here.

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi, I created the CD. I'm attaching an analysis of the track quality. The C1/C2 scan looks amazing (it's about as good as you can get - although I've had one or two better :D ). The beta looks good too, but the jitter spectrum looks very odd. I've never seen anything like this. Is this an artifact of the type of tracks which are on the disk? I've never made a disc that's had such an odd jitter spectrum.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 351
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 347
Hmm, I'm starting to wonder about these mechanisms. With the one I've been using on my ready-made Shiga, Tibi's test CD showed quite a lot of difficulty getting read, and jumping from track to track was very problematic (I didn't put a scope on Track 13 yet). It will eventually play tracks, but only after a lot of hunting.

This mechanism has a platform height of .775"-.050" (the thickness of the frame). That makes the height from the top of the frame (converted) 18.42 mm - way less than what has been recommended. Now here's the interesting part. I tried the second mechanism, which has a height of .821"-.050" -> 19.59 mm, which is much closer to what has been suggested is the right height (when I measured it last time I must have been a bit off, as I indicated in a previous post that it was 19.61). This mechanism couldn't even read the number of tracks on the CD - tried but gave up and could do no better than show "00".

I know Sean Henderson found 19.58 mm to be a good height for the platform, but in my case this seems to be not right at all. I'm starting to wonder - is there any published documentation for this transport that identifies what the optimal platform height must be?

Last edited: