Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I have changed / upgraded the position C906 with a 100n MKT HQ that I had around . Yes The changing in sound is again marked . But I also insist and ask to some of you to try to disconnect and tie R957 to ground ( 220 ohm smd ) . R957 is powering the internal dac from the 5 volt and after it the pin 55 (dsp chip ) is at around 3.8 volt or so . Putting it to ground pin 55 is at 0,7 volt . For me that also gives difference in dynamics , I am curious to know your findings .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
RCEZ32 Update

I just finished replacing just about all of the capacitors not previously replaced with mostly the inexpensive Black Gate PX. The difference was not too subtle - the improvement in sound quality was nothing short of stunning.

I replaced just about every other cap except C915 (0.22uF) and I left that one in place simply because I do not have the correct value.

I plan to try a film or pio cap for this location, have not verified this yet, but I believe this might be the tracking servo cap.

My blunt recommendation would be to replace all of the original caps with PX or standard BG where they will fit. Even without break in it sounds so much better it is also impossible to comprehend. I'm very pleased.

The other thing I did is replace the original RS spdif attenuator network and bnc with Caddock MK-132 resistors, and a 75 ohm bnc. Big difference here too. :) (Values 402 and 93 ohms realized with 100 ohm and 1.31K in parallel.)

Soon I will resist the urge to tweak it any further. (Just C915) I'm trying to learn to quit while I am ahead.. :D

I am working on procuring some brass bar stock in order to increase the overall mass on the chassis plate. I am still deciding how to package it.

Got any pictures of your mods Kevin? Sounds like you've really gone to town on this board - mine's still running on a mouse mat!!! (turned foam side up). Need to source some aluminium threaded spaces from somewhere. Have contacted a local metal-works place but they haven't gotten back to me yet. May try some large bolts as a temporary measure.

- John

P.S. That paper in oil for C906 really does sound nice - at last I think I've found a cap I'll keep in that position!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Unfortunately no new pictures yet. I won't be taking the mechanism apart again if I can avoid it. The last cap or two I want to replace are all located at the edge of the board.

I will say it sounds a treat.. :D The difference is not the least bit subtle. Thought I was hallucinating I when I first fired it up. Everything I liked about it before is abundantly evident, the odd artifacts I heard now and then are totally gone. It sounds very "self assured" and it is matching the Sony and may actually out perform it in some respects.

I am quite enjoying the dimensionality and the way things in the mix sometimes leap out at you - quite uninhibited and dynamic, but no sense of overshoot either. (I'm listening to Techno right now.)

I listened to some KD Lang earlier and I doubt I have ever heard her sound more palpable, almost like she was in the room with me.. I have also listened to Elvis Costello's Il Sogno tonight. It seems to not favor any particular genre of music.

No typical CD glare at all, very extended and clean highs, solid bass, and a palpable midrange. Imaging is quite holographic. Soundstaging, did I mention soundstaging? Yes, I am raving, but for once I feel justified.. :D I totally understand now why Peter is selling his transports one by one.

For me with all the problems and false starts this story does have a happy ending. I don't think any of my friends will have a problem hearing just how good this thing is.

It goes without saying I guess that I have the dac to match, based on modified TPA modules and a lot of my own electronics.

I always had a lot of respect for the Shigaraki, liked it a lot the first and few times I heard one, it would be very interesting to compare my transport to one..

That's great - after all the hassles you had actually getting a unit you deserve the sound you're finally getting. I know where you are coming from - its sound is just breath taking, and a few times I have jumped at a dynamic point in music, such is its realism.

I just discovered I have two Black Gate N 47uF/50V left over from upgrading a Rotel RCD-965BX a few years back. I'll have to think best where to place these in my JVC. I have three choices... not sure which to go with yet. Any advice would be grateful here:

1) Replace C953 (currently Panasonic 330uF FM type) with first Black gate N 47uF. With the other 47uF replace my 470uF Elna Silmic at position C952.

2) Replace C953 (Panasonic 330uF FM type) with one Black Gate N 47uF. With the second spare 47uF Black Gate create the Super 'E' configuration by adding to my existing N type 47uF already at position C916. I can then either keep the Silmic at C952, or remove it altogether like Peter...

3) Replace C953 with 47uF Black Gate N type (currently using a 330uF Panasonic FM there). Replace C939 (supplies juice to XVDD, pin 62, of the LC78601E) which is currently (HAAA!!!!!..... sorry!) an Elna Silmic 100uF / 63V.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

- John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'd use those caps at the LC78601 - I had a very large gain from replacing the equivalent to C939 in mine. I would try to locate another supply location for the LA9242 and try one there.. You could also try in place of C952.. I have a silmic 100uF in the equivalent location and it made quite a difference over the stock cap or a pair of empty holes.. :D

I'm groovin' right now.. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In most cases you will generally want to stick close to the original values in any application that is not supply related. (Time constants are important.) Definitely do not deviate more than one value at a time if you do not adhere to the original values - that way if something does not work as well as expected you have a starting point.

Generally I stuck to the stock values in locations other than the supply bypass locations where I have tended to use 47uF standard Black Gates - with the exception of the aforementioned C950 (your C952) where I went from cheap mystery 1000uF to a 100uF Silmic.. Incidentally everything else replaced so far is Black Gate.

My supply has much lower output impedance than the stock supply despite sticking with the stock transformer, and the power wiring to the mechanism is about 6" long and is 19ga as opposed to about 26ga for the original.

I'm using MUR420 rectifiers and a Rohm BA17808 regulator in the TO-220FP package on a massive heatsink - barely warm after several hours of operation.

About 3 hours in it just continues to get better.. :D

Attachments

• jvcpower.jpg
    jvcpower.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,962