Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Peter,

It does make sense that the magnet would affect the laser servo coils, though a ring magnet, which has a consistent field relative to the coils while it is in rotation would be better that two or more small magnets.

So regardless, it seems magnets or relying on a weight are out for the various reasons noted.

The CD Turntable being used in this project does not have means to hold the CD in place designed. So that leave the threaded clamp as seemingly the only good option. Is that what you use, and if not, what did you use?

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Hi Peter ...very nice to see you here at this time,

I have a personal opinion that pucks are an easy way to get into trouble and spoil the sound....

An effective puck does not have to look like titanic and very "high end" ...as a matter of fact the small steel balls are not bad and the original magnetic one is very ok as well.

Perfect would be a light, wide magnetic one....does it exist ?...don´t think so.

One should keep in mind that any vibration the puck causes will have the focusing mechanism working overtime to lock and this surely spoils the sound.

As has been explained to death, the perfect puck has to be turned on the motor shaft so that it does not vibrate and is perfectly concentric...no easy task.

In my original transport, I used delrin table with Fran's ebony puck and it sounded fine. However, all subsequent transports I've built, were using stock JVC magnetic clamp and they sounded fine too. So now I'm not loosing any sleep about the pucks ;)

Attachments

• CD-New.jpg
    CD-New.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 566
I have tried an improvised non-magnetic puck, made with a roll of masking tape weighing on the CD. It had a smooth sound, magnetic puck was sharp and a bit harsh in comparison.

I researched this a little more and I am fairly confident that coating the CD platform with a non-slip substance, such as silicone, would make a very light puck with no magnet sufficient.

Tvicol, what path will you take if none can be found? I have a shiglaclone here that i habe not assembled amd was wondering whether to mess with it or not? What about those who have paid? No hurry, just wandering.

Don't worry, I'm not the man to give up easy. All paid orders are secured and will be honored.
I still search for LC78601RE, but if this part is unobtainable, we'll switch to LC78622.

Regards,
Tibi

At DSP side there is no difference as inside is identically to LC78601RE , but LC8622E do not have inside the microcontroller and need external MCU to receive infrared remote data command and keyboard press and send command to LC8622E .
Its like they cut the command/MCU unit from inside .

Yep, theoretically should be next step in upgrading Shiga to the next level.

Regards,
Tibi

At DSP side there is no difference as inside is identically to LC78601RE , but LC8622E do not have inside the microcontroller and need external MCU to receive infrared remote data command and keyboard press and send command to LC8622E .
Its like they cut the command/MCU unit from inside .

Does this mean an upgraded design to support the LC8622E would be better, or just different?

Does this mean an upgraded design to support the LC8622E would be better, or just different?

Is LC78622. Could be better, for shure different. :)
From the tehnical point of view it is harder to implement than LC78601. By using an external MCU and display section it gives more design flexibility, but will increase costs. For example we can extend CD servo functions, display more information and we are no more stuck on a multiplexed LCD.
Having separate MCU and display section may offer better DSP functionality and the transport may sound better.
From marketing point of view will be a great improvement. ;)

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator: