Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

OK, I think I see the story now. When I've used one of the ebay mechs I've always taken off that bottom board...

I just a did a check there, and the mechs I have are the 16pin versions and they have the switch. I also looked at a mech that I bought with the 3 ball platform (ie no magnetic puck needed) and it doesn't have the bottom board. I probably removed it while testing though.

Sorry for the confusion!!

There are two basic versions of the SF-P101N mechanism. The only difference being the CD mount.

If I am correct, the recommendation is to remove the factory mounting mechanism (left - 3 ball or right - 3 point clinch) and replace it with either a magnetic or mechanical screw clamp assembly.

Note these mechanisms are also available in 15 Pin vs the required 16 pin variant for ShigaClone.

Attachments

• Sony SF-P101N mechanism_1.JPG
    Sony SF-P101N mechanism_1.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 437
Ah, but the nuances are important too! ;) I was referring to the cap construction in this case. So if I am looking for a nuanced movement in the direction of clarity, which wood choice do I make?

Ebony is your choice then. I did mean it when I said it is expensive though - just enough of it to make one capacitor like my VNM Cap, would cost me about £125. I could make such a cap for you, naturally - but even I would consider it a bit extravagant! Your money would be much better spent getting another VNM cap for use in C9 (C908), or for your DAC input.

Keep in mind, what actually matters is the overall resonant behaviour of the entire component. One could conceivably build an excellent, rigid oak capacitor, that would sound superior to flimsy / poorly made ebony cap. This is not unlike making musical instruments (the famous "pallet guitar" by Bob Taylor proves it's not all about the exquisite timbers). So I settled for sapele, which is an excellent-sounding wood, and pleasant to work with - if not quite the best there is.

The same rule holds true for the entire devices by the way - their resonant properties can have significant impact on the sound, but the way they are built and mounted is just as important as the materials used.

Hi Tibi,
the invoice you just sent is wrong.

I didn't order an assembled unit but a diyaudio DIY KIT only, see my post #6031.

According to your post #5995, I'd be going to pay 40.45 EUR.

----
For and ONLY diyaudio members we are offering
DIY Shiga KIT - 40.45euro - TVA included
This include PCB; CD mechanic SFP101N-16P; chipset LA9242M, LC78601RE, LA6541, transistor set 2SA608NF, 2SB764E, 2SA1342; custom multiplexed LCD.
Plase also note that you may order any of this parts in any quantity you need. Also note that you need to be registered on the list before 15.July.
This product will not be available via vicol-audio webshop and all the sale will be done trough diyaudio forum - you contact me and I´l bill you via paypal.
.................................................. .................................................. .

I'm waiting the correct invoice.

Thank you,

Stefano

Hi,
Since we are approaching the final stage on the new shigaclone, can someone suggest how we should tackle the cd clamp issue for those whom might not have the original one to start with? Anyone has sources to produce a new magnetic or mechanical screw clamp assembly? Any suggestion?

Hi,
Since we are approaching the final stage on the new shigaclone, can someone suggest how we should tackle the cd clamp issue for those whom might not have the original one to start with? Anyone has sources to produce a new magnetic or mechanical screw clamp assembly? Any suggestion?

BMW850 got himself a custom-made aluminium puck http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-107.html#post2914940
Making your own magnetic puck is possible as well http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-114.html#post2955592

The easiest option is probably getting a CD mech with the laptop-type clamp, which requires no puck SANYO LASER LENS SF-P101N DA11B3VF (16P) W/MECHANISM SFP101N | eBay