Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi all,
i'm searching for a dac for shigaclone (will buy one from Tibi) but can't choose one.. i was thinking a WM8741 WM8805 dac but later decided to try a nos dac.. and want to learn your experiments.. which one do you suggest?
thanks..

TE7022 USB WM8741 WM8805 Coaxial Optical DAC Decoder 24Bit with case V1.7 | eBay

Hi-End DAC 8pcs TDA1543 Chips 24Bit 96kHz 115V/230V | eBay

(SUMMER SALE) DAC TDA1541+WM8805 NOS 1.0UI multi-input | eBay

TeraDak V3.1D DAC TDA1543 NOS 31D 96k/24bit & USB DAC N | eBay

Valab TDA1543 NOS USB Re-Clock DAC MK-1 Luxury Version | eBay

I am going to use the WM8804 with ESS9023 by JP and Subbu.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/200921-es9023-dac-pcb-5.html

Last edited:
Hi all,
i'm searching for a dac for shigaclone (will buy one from Tibi) but can't choose one.. i was thinking a WM8741 WM8805 dac but later decided to try a nos dac.. and want to learn your experiments.. which one do you suggest?
thanks..

TE7022 USB WM8741 WM8805 Coaxial Optical DAC Decoder 24Bit with case V1.7 | eBay

Hi-End DAC 8pcs TDA1543 Chips 24Bit 96kHz 115V/230V | eBay

(SUMMER SALE) DAC TDA1541+WM8805 NOS 1.0UI multi-input | eBay

TeraDak V3.1D DAC TDA1543 NOS 31D 96k/24bit & USB DAC N | eBay

Valab TDA1543 NOS USB Re-Clock DAC MK-1 Luxury Version | eBay

I have use/listening the Shiga CD transport (vicol audio testing version) with the following DAC :
CS4398 :
24bit/192kHz DAC CS8416+CS4398+CS8421+Transformer Up-sampling,USB, DIY | eBay
AKM4398:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320808773266&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:IE:1123
also DAC Assemblage with pcm 1702 (the one on partsconnexion)
Parts Connection Assemblage DAC-1 D/A converter kit | Stereophile.com
Interconect vicol audio silver/gold ,
Speakers : Triangle Antal EX , BEETHOVEN BABY GRAND , Triangle Quartet and Nuova Opera Seconda

my top listening with SS amplifier (Vicol audio Quasar amplifier) :
1.CS4398
2.PCM1702
3.AKM4398
my top listening with TUBE amplifier SE (GU50 final pentode class A and 6n5p srpp in front) :
1.AKM4398
2.PCM1702
3.CS4398
mytop with listening Tube amplifier PP (6P3S PushPull amplifier with differential 6N9s splitterin front and EF86 as the line in) :
1.PCM1702
2.=3. CS and AKM sounds almost the same

There where some test also with some Wolfson WM DAC but i was not on site on that listening sesion
and I cannot say how it sounds .
I am on the GB for ES9023 DAC so soon will be testing this DAC also with vicol audio Shiga CD transport..
Remember : the top is made by my feelings and liking and is a subjective top .
No one was hurt at the audition ! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_2426.JPG
    IMG_2426.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_2433.JPG
    IMG_2433.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Just a small observation to Dan´s post.
Assemblage DAC-1 D/A is a modified unit with CREE rectifiers and discrete Burson opamps.

Regards,
Tibi

Yes heavily moded that DAC Assemblage with pure silver inside for connections to RCA , also was tested TDA 1541 NOS and do not impress me (good DAC but a little out of my taste ) .
Also tested : Nakamichi DAC 101 TDA1541 PP in differential mode with upsampling from Pioneer chip !
Sounds very very good , but as this is something vintage and very rare do not posted impressions about .
Also was some 2A3 class A tube amplifier and EL509-02 PP class AB1 and one SRS551 spud tube amplifier for listening .
Everyone was impressed by vicol audio Shiga CD transport as this was by far the most high-end transport / best sounding transport listened by the people that participate on that listening session .
Also I was stunned by the quality of this Transport (again thank to the people that discovered this transport : Peter Daniel and Mr. Shigaraki ) .

Last edited:
skylab, danzup (what a detailed post :), Tibi, thank you..

as i could not solder surface mount parts, i don't mind WM8804 - ESS9023 pcb.. but i will consider CS4398 and AKM4398..

years ago i had an Assemblage dac as Sonic Frontiers Transdac (unmodified).. it was very good for the price but a bit boring for my taste and equipment (lm3875 gainclone, dh-labs bl1, proac tablette reference)..

i think sharing experiments and opinions about dac for shigaclone, will be very helpful for builders..
thanks..

C43

Thanks to spartan who sent me several observations by mail.

C43 must be around 220uF and will have sonic impact. A high quality one is a must - go for tantalum, polymer, Rubycon ZA.

Best regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,

Can you estimate the working voltage needed for C43? My guess is that it is pretty low. I have a left over BlackGate PK 220 uF which might work well there in my build, but it is only rated at 4 Volts.

Thanks in advance.

Jac

Hi all,
thanks..

maybe the DAC from Peter Daniel : CS8412 - TDA1543 NOS

Thanks to spartan who sent me several observations by mail.

I´ll put, also here, some of my email comments.

C27 must be 10uF and yes this have major sound impact.
C21 is in fact 100nF on the original board. We will change this as well.
C43 must be around 220uF and will have sonic impact. A high quality one is a must - go for tantalum, polymer, Rubycon ZA.
C48 and C51 are decoupling caps and are related to layout. A tantal 10uF will do a better job than original 100uF.
We have found also that C18 is 47nF on the original.

Best regards,
Tibi

Have you done many tests with C43 Tibi? I understand this is the same as C916 in the old Shigaclone, right? I did quite a lot of testing in this position last year, and to me, values around 47uF worked best here. Less than 47uF generally meant thinner/drier bass (but my Shiga would work happily even with no capacitor at all). When going 100uF and above, I felt the sound was becoming muddy, with poorly controlled bass. I wrote about it here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-85.html#post2450682
and here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-97.html#post2571790 (I tested more caps since, but none of them are worth mentioning, except BG Nx 47uF/6.3V which I now consider the best choice here, and also "no cap" is probably not really as good as I had initially thought).

Hi all,
thanks..

I can certainly recommend Peter's NOS DAC, especially if you apply the latest mods he published. I am yet to come across a DAC that would sound more natural and dynamic.

I can certainly recommend Peter's NOS DAC, especially if you apply the latest mods he published. I am yet to come across a DAC that would sound more natural and dynamic.

sigurd, uncle_leon, that's what i did today.. i bought one of second hand and can't waiting to hear it.. after a period i can consider that mods.. thanks..

I don't suppose some kind soul out there would be willing to sell me one of these? If such a saint exists please PM me.

Tony, even if you find someone willing to sell you one, given its rarity, I would estimate its current market price to be above £50 - might be less for a used cap. The difference between an ordinary BG N and an Nx is only slight, and I think N still occasionally come up on ebay. If you can't get the N, look for the FK, they are still quite a bit better than any non-BG cap.

In any case, you can get a very respectable sound even out of Shiga that has no BGs at all, as long as other parts are well optimised - trafo, output resistors, C906, separate 5V reg etc. - how far have you gotten in your 'cloning?

Have you done many tests with C43 Tibi? I understand this is the same as C916 in the old Shigaclone, right? I did quite a lot of testing in this position last year, and to me, values around 47uF worked best here. Less than 47uF generally meant thinner/drier bass (but my Shiga would work happily even with no capacitor at all). When going 100uF and above, I felt the sound was becoming muddy, with poorly controlled bass. I wrote about it here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ransport-shigaclone-story-85.html#post2450682
and here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ransport-shigaclone-story-97.html#post2571790 (I tested more caps since, but none of them are worth mentioning, except BG Nx 47uF/6.3V which I now consider the best choice here, and also "no cap" is probably not really as good as I had initially thought).

We have tested several caps and as you already found BG's in this position are very good. Organic polymer capacitors will do, as well, a nice job here.
With all of this we will use original capacitor value 220uF, it will be up to you to tweak further.

Regards,
Tibi

In any case, you can get a very respectable sound even out of Shiga that has no BGs at all, as long as other parts are well optimised - trafo, output resistors, C906, separate 5V reg etc. - how far have you gotten in your 'cloning?

uncle_leon, I'm waiting for the units from Tibi when he starts shipping in August / September. Personally, I'm not looking for respectable sound - I already have a Madrigal Proceed PDT3 for that. I want something to beat it and the other great transports I've heard - ML 31.5, CEC, etc.

uncle_leon, I'm waiting for the units from Tibi when he starts shipping in August / September. Personally, I'm not looking for respectable sound - I already have a Madrigal Proceed PDT3 for that. I want something to beat it and the other great transports I've heard - ML 31.5, CEC, etc.

So do I.
I have a YBA transport, player. My friends have Audio Reasearch, YBA, Naim to list a few.
I want to beat these and others too.

@tvicol :Diy members on the list who ordered a shigaclone, is it the best way to order in your webshop? Or do you send an invoice?
I saw that is possible on your website to order....

The best way is to contact me by mail and I´ll let you know total amount and paypal payment details. An invoice can be sent via paypal.
The website is for those who like to order but are not on the list.
There will be available 10 FULL Shiga KIT and 25 Shiga ready mounted and tested. At this time you can not order as the stock is set to 0.

Regards,
Tibi