Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi Pocoyo, I could try the Nichicon FX and the Illinois cap (have you got any values lower than 100uf?).

I don't think there is much point in me testing BG F. It wouldn't help anyone because they are practically extinct, and in any case they are very unlikely to be better than FK / STD. And besides, it's way too expensive to test it just for charity - unless you are willing to let me borrow two for a week.

For the nichicon fx there are
- 1000uf 63v and
- 47uf 50v (@US$ 1)

For IC caps just 1000uf 35v available
It is too far away to lend you BGF :)

I can send it after this mey 2011
I'm out of city for office work

Last edited:
Today (actually a very LONG day)... I finished the Mini-PiTbull :D

I think I am gonna make an audiofriend very happy because I myself am very hard to please but I can say I am pleased with this.....

Mini-PiTbull-FINISHED.jpg

Hi Erik

If I look the link you give for the PUG
Looks like they are made for human statue
Like madame tussoe museum

How to tell them to order the pug ?
Is this a special order ?

Hi Rudy,

Did you experiment with a Blackgate "Afterwards" since ALWSR themselves advices to use no caps at all afterwards...
(ALWSR Manual 3.0 WARNING AND CAUTIONS...THEY TALK ABOUT INSTABILITY)

Hi Erik,

Good work you have done with the little Pitbull, your friend will be very happy with the sound.

I test the 5 volt ALWSR now without the 1000uF Blackgate STD after the ALWSR and this sound much much better, more depth in the music, thank you ;)

Now I am testing 3 units 5 volt Sallas regs on my DDDAC receiver board:
VDD1 à CS8414CS
VDD2 à Tent XO Clock 2,8224 Mhz.
VDD3 à 74VHC4040M

I must say this is also a improvement.

If I finished with this test, I do the DAC Towers also for these chips, I have those Sallas regs @ home:
2 Sallas regs 8.4V 800mA (2x DAC Tower à 12xTDA1543)
2 Sallas regs 3.5V 80mA (2x DAC Tower à 74VHC125N)

Rudy

Last edited:
A very sad coincidence together with a huge Mini-PiTbull improvement came along.

I just finished my ebony encasement and was really thrilled by the effect while on the other hand I came to know that one of my sound guru's and master on this particular subject died at the age of 58 (in his sleep) a few days ago.

Bernard Salabert I will always remember you through my music...R.I.P.

6moons industryfeatures: Bernard Salabert of PHY-HP

header.gif

Walt Jung Regulator

Hi c12mech,

If you looking for regs., go to site of Walt Jung.
Click on library, then on regulators & references.
Under 1995 you wil find explanation and comparison of different power supply regs.
You can free download pdf files.
Build some by yourself, and save a lot bucks.
The regs are very good.
Have fun.

Woood09

The 2.5V reg works VERY well

Hi all,

You may recall that I have been evaluating a 2.5V reference regulator based on an idea by JohnW (John Swenson) to use at the C906 position-this idea came from the realisation that C906 was on a voltage line set at 2.5V by the LA6541.

Some background is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-463.html#post2531910

and here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-464.html#post2534710

The mod is straightforward: Build the reg, and connect as per JohnW's note to the C906 cap (one leg, the positive leg of course).

How does it sound:
A few observations:
1. My wife started to sing along when the music was playing softly in the background. Even at low volume, resolution is superb.
2. Instead of sounding high-fi-ish, it plays music to listen to, instead of sound to evaluate
3. Vs the unmodded transport, mids are cleaner, more distinct without being forward, almost like some fuzziness was removed. It is not etched, but just more distinct, cleaner, clearer

Simple mod, easy parts, easy to implement. I'd like to see if I could move the reference source/sensor closer to the actual VREF pin of LA6541.

Last thing to try is an SPDIF transmitter built by Jocko Homo, an ex-member here who remains active on diyhifi.org

Thanks again Peter for making the DIYers aware of this fantastic gem of a transport!

Hi Dr.H,

Are you referring to the Vref regulator in the below link at post 23 by JohnW?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/25213-capcitor-type-vref-3.html

On the right side of circuit there is a "To Vref" and "From Vref pin". Are these two connection going to replace the cap C906?

Is it correct to say that the "From Vref" of the reg will connect to the positive leg of C906 and the "To Vref" will connect to the Negative leg of C906 or as close as posible to the Vref pin of the LA6541?

What type of cap will best suit this voltage reference reg ?

Thanks