Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

In my experience ferrite clamps on power cords are mixed bag. Initially they seem to "improve" things a bit, like smoothing or removing edginess from the sound, but later you may notice that they also rob the sound from "energy". And I believe that this energy is the most important aspect of sonic presentation. All other things, like tonality, space, resolution, have only secondary importance, they could be the best you can get but without energy they still mean nothing. OTOH, properly "energized" system will provide lots of enjoyment, even if some other parameters are not completely up to specs. ;)

Yes Fran you're right!

I didn't reason my thinking enough I am by-passing the stock DAC with my Shigaclone. But even there, are we looking into 2V at the Shigaclone SPDIF output also? I have no idea. How do I know if I need those resistors, I'm already padding my Art Dio at it's output (7V down to 2) so my Preamp doesn't distort.

Thanks.

Hi Pete: I have seen this topic for a while, but still do not have time to implement this project... But I am always thinking about this great DIY transport...

May I ask you a stupid question: the point of this DIY transport is to get S/PDIF signal from the Sanyo transport and its servo/DAC board, then rebuild some independent beefy power supplies for their consumers (one for each "VIP"). If the purpose is just to intercept S/PDIF, then why can't we do the same thing to other (or any) CD players? Maybe some cheap CD players may also surprise us. (I know that the S/PDIF signal from this boom box to its DAC/servo board has very short path. Is that the reason why we are targeting on boom box only?)

Peter Daniel said:
In my experience ferrite clamps on power cords are mixed bag. Initially they seem to "improve" things a bit, like smoothing or removing edginess from the sound, but later you may notice that they also rob the sound from "energy". And I believe that this energy is the most important aspect of sonic presentation. All other things, like tonality, space, resolution, have only secondary importance, they could be the best you can get but without energy they still mean nothing. OTOH, properly "energized" system will provide lots of enjoyment, even if some other parameters are not completely up to specs. ;)

Hi Fran, Peter!

Thanks for the explanations. That gives me quite a good idea on the sound Peter. Then, I probably wont be missing with them. Usually the power cords I build are pretty hefty (10-12GA), I'm trying to get a mix of all aspect of sound when designing them. For sure I could not implement a core on those specially not 2 windings, not even one, straight through maybe. Probably the only place I could have tried it would be near the 8V inputs since the wire would be smaller and flexible. But since you have clearly noted either would I (at no expense) like to loose the energy (momentum) you are referring to, we work hard to get it.

Out of curiosity, what is the effect of the core and winding on a cable, is it there to act as a low pass filter? Does the core step up inductance?

Peter Daniel said:
SPDIF signal level is specified as 0.5-1V and it will not affect analog sound level, more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif

Peter I understand a bit more the definiton of SPDIF (WIKI has been a good reference for me lately) but I would further like to know how adequately to implement the resistors. I guess it's a not so easy answer. Sorry I'm giving you work. Well my question is open to all. :0)

What are we trying to adjust here with those? Voltage I guess huh, as it is a voltage divider ...and after to tweak the sound to my particular preference taking in consideration that voltage is between 0.5 and 1V, right?

What confuses me is that I read that some don't use the resistors at all, I'm trying to figure out where I'm situated in all this and where should I start as first objective.

Hi,

Can I add a picture of another finished Shigaclone.

I machined this out of a solid block of Aluminium, it started out at 7kg and now is more like 5 what with it now having a big hole in it.

I went for a milled dashboard type effect on the outside a bit like you get in old Bentleys and Aston Martins. We have a CNC at work that I get the chance to use out of work time but even so it took quite a bit longer than planned. Working out the program to machine the lid was particularly brain numbing.

I'm thinking of adding a window on the front at some point for the display but this may be a while off as I'd like to just enjoy to it for the time being.

I can only add to the thanks Peter has received for highlighting the idea of making a player from a boombox, it outperforms my previous player (a sony cdp-3000 ES) and hopefully should be my last.

Attachments

• shigaclone.jpg
    shigaclone.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,256
local source of JVC RC-EZ31 found

Hi folks,

I haven't read all 130-odd pages of this thread (I got about half way before I found that way too much time had gone by), so I don't know what the current state of supply of the EZ31 units is. But I thought I would mention that I've found a store fairly close by that has several in stock. I was thinking of getting one myself, so just thought I'd put the offer out there if anyone is desperate to find one.

-Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: local source of JVC RC-EZ31 found

Sparhawk said:
Hi folks,

I haven't read all 130-odd pages of this thread (I got about half way before I found that way too much time had gone by), so I don't know what the current state of supply of the EZ31 units is. But I thought I would mention that I've found a store fairly close by that has several in stock. I was thinking of getting one myself, so just thought I'd put the offer out there if anyone is desperate to find one.

-Dan

I have a friend in our area looking for one. Can you PM me?

Regards,
Dan