Filter for Abbeys and Fostex FE166

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magura said:
OK, so the MDF boxes has to go....I will reluctantly agree :bawling:

Magura :)

Well, things seems to change with time (read: break in of drivers).

Now I'm no longer so sure that those MDF boxes has to go. That extremely annoying resonanse in the upper mid band has seemingly gone lost ???

I have tried bracing and stuffing of different kinds, but now I'm back exactly where I started plus the round baffle....and pretty much all the issues seems to have vanished in the thin air??? Now this has me wondering BIG time.

Magura :)

Here is how i mount my baffles on the abbyclone, as you can see at the pictures i have inserted a rubberslice to fore resonans reasons, the have played fore some time now and sounds better and better.

Attachments

• obs 063.jpg
    obs 063.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 205
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In theory what decoupling does is decouple the driver from the box. In an MDF cabinet this can mean less energy injected into the box. less energy storage and less covering up of low level detail by the moosh the box send out. This is countered by more of the energy staying in the driver cone & basket, meaning it moves around more (actual newtonian movement as well as greater vibration) which ends up as loss of low-level detail.

So whichever way sounds best.

dave

I do it this way to give less resonance though i haven't noticed any, and as a preliminary solution to see if i can hear a difference in the sound compared to the flat MDF baffle.
It makes it easyer to dismantle when i'm going to veener the boxes.
These loudspeakers really are mysterious, suddenly they sounded much better from one day to another - they have become hearable better in the depth even with my gainclone.

I understand.

if you feel the need to tame the 166e at first. the driver can sound ragged and beamy.

I have not read the whole post, but as one of terry cains close friends and apprentices, I really worry about notching the abby. him not being able to be present, I guess I will attempt to speak on his behalf, him not being able to toot his own "horn."

the drivers take two years to fully break in. yes, it takes that long, yes it makes a difference. no, I would not tweak them much until then....

notching and most mods you will try will disturbs the delicate dynamic speed of the driver and enclosure it will tend to sound more "amplified" and less natural. at least by my experience with notching.

on the other hand though, terry always encouraged experimentation. it help to educate oneself through trial and error.

Clark

I am really satisfied with them as they are now,f.ex. listening to Mark Knopfler and Kenny G is very special at these Abbyclones, it's so detailed that it gives a feeling that you can actually hear the nail/plecter setting of at the strings on the guitar. saxofone is very detailed too.
Lot of good work comes from common sense and experimentation, numbers and formulars can't solve any individual problem especially not working with sound - i allways let my ears make the final judgement, when they are pleased it doesn't matter what other people thinks about it.
2 years of burn in gives me some more time to get them veenered, thats good:D gives me time to finish some of my amplifier and other loudspeakerprojects in between.
I must admit that i never thought it was possible to get such a good sound from fullrangespeakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.